KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - I am looking for a song..... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions New Music - Request & Released Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:39 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
BruceFan4Life wrote:
There is a time and place for everything. I have been known to curse like a sailor but when I go to karaoke; I like to treat the other patrons with respect. I try not to sing anything that I wouldn't sing in front of my mother or grandmothers; god rest their souls.

Now if I was in the type of bar where anything goes and singing songs with explicit lyrics was the norm, then maybe I'd give in to the peer pressure and break out "First of May" by Jonathan Coulton.... a song that I would never sing in a place with a family atmosphere.

I pride myself on knowing the difference between karaoke venues. I don't need to shock an audience to get attention. I can actually sing well enough to get the same attention without making my parents embarrassed by my behavior.

Very well put. Nice explanation, Bruce. I couldn't have said it better myself!

I do like the fact that you curse like a sailor too. So do I. But I’m retired now, so I can’t justify it anymore, unless I'm in one of those karaoke venues you mentioned above. :lol:

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:55 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 2 times
Crazy Rap is also available on the All Star Custom site.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:06 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Never understood people's fascination with cursing into a microphone. first f-bomb gets them a warning. 2nd gets them banned for the night.

Though when I sing Cee-Lo my Friday night bartender insists I sing the naughty version, which I happily oblige, 'cause I'm really singing it at most of my audience.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:47 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 6 times
Yeah, personally, I don't swear on mike, singing or otherwise. I find it unprofessional and uncomfortable. It also seems to distinguish me from patrons. As long as they do it after 10:00 pm in a non family friendly establishment, I don't really care if they cuss like a trucker. I'm not going to let them go on a 30 second diatribe or anything, but the occasional f-bomb or less doesn't bother me, as long as they're not saying it to a particular person and being mean.
But, my theory is, if you are going to be in a bar after 10:00 pm, you get what you get. If you walk through a bar after everyone has had a few, you hear it all over the bar anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:34 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Willametteduck wrote:
Yeah, personally, I don't swear on mike, singing or otherwise. I find it unprofessional and uncomfortable. It also seems to distinguish me from patrons. As long as they do it after 10:00 pm in a non family friendly establishment, I don't really care if they cuss like a trucker. I'm not going to let them go on a 30 second diatribe or anything, but the occasional f-bomb or less doesn't bother me, as long as they're not saying it to a particular person and being mean.
But, my theory is, if you are going to be in a bar after 10:00 pm, you get what you get. If you walk through a bar after everyone has had a few, you hear it all over the bar anyway.

Oh absolutely. When my singers put in Cee-Lo or Tenacious D I tell them they have to wait til 10:30-11 when the dining room attached to the bar clears out. If it organic to the song, while I don't love it, I'll allow it.

I'm talking about the people who come up and scream, "Yeah (@$%&#!)! IT'S MY (@$%&#!) BIRTHDAY! (@$%&#!) (@$%&#!) (@$%&#!) (@$%&#!) (@$%&#!)!"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:35 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
Those types of people get a dead mic real quick and are banned from singing the rest of the night.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:10 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
I have more tolerance for swearing than for racial/other slurs. First time is the last time on those. I don't care that we don't typically get minorities at the bar.