KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - HD for sale on Ebay Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HD for sale on Ebay
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:42 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 48 times
... Don't get on here as often as I used too but was just curious. Are these legal now?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Huge-Karaoke-Co ... Sw5cNYgssz

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: HD for sale on Ebay
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:05 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Nope! Why would that have ever changed?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:18 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 48 times
Lonman wrote:
Nope! Why would that have ever changed?

...Well, #1) I used to get on here, up until a little over a year ago, at least once a week or more. #2) I've always enjoyed participating in and reading posts throughout these past several years. #3) Although I've never met any members from here, in person, I've always liked the interactions. #4) Years ago, I used to spend hours, searching the internet and calling certain agencies, about what was and or not legal (according to U.S. Laws) when it pertains to digital files (ripped cd/cdgs or downloads from licensed sellers) for commercial use. #5) I've done my best to "CYA" by talking with Karaoke Producers and taking any audits that were offered. #6) The laws change, from time to time, and to be honest, I just haven't kept up these last several months. Plus, SC/PEP, has allowed HD owners to get covered (vs. CDG to HD audits and GEM Series Lessee) #7) This past year I only ran around 10 shows (private parties and weddings), had to turn down 20 plus due to personal issues. Just have a problem with putting on a Fake Smile & Personality with all that's happened in the last year. #8) I've been around the KJ and DJ business since 1985, 20 plus years active. In 2008 I began building a system and aggressively adding to my music library. I did not build a music library, as an investment, but figured it would have some value if I ever sold out in the future. Which I might do in the near future.

... Sorry for the long response. Definitely could have been shorter! Just trying to decide if I want to stay or go. If I go, I'm gonna try to sell all as a turn key operation at a very good price.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:16 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
MadMusicOne wrote:
... Don't get on here as often as I used too but was just curious. Are these legal now?

Definitely not legal. I will get it taken down when I get to the office tomorrow.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:06 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
MadMusicOne wrote:

I was bored... I decided to ask the seller a question:

Quote:
To: scottieboi937
Subject: Details about item: cueball703 sent a message about Huge Karaoke Collection! USB Hard Drive Ultimate Collection #172498688130

Sent Date: Jan-24-17 18:59:26 PST

Dear scottieboi937,

Are you also going to include the original discs with the downloads?

- cueball703

To: cueball703
Subject: Re: Details about item: cueball703 sent a message about Huge Karaoke Collection! USB Hard Drive Ultimate Collection #172498688130
Sent Date: Jan-24-17 19:07:04 PST

Dear cueball703,

Hello and thanks for your inquiry. This is a "computer media karaoke" collection. It is not a CD collection, therefore (as see in description) You are required to make arrangments with BMI or ASCAP for music royalties if you play these versions in public performances. Years ago when all you had was CD collections it was different. Today with all the hosting software on the computer it is required. If you visit ASCAP there are reasonable permits you can obtain that are relatively inexpensive.

- scottieboi937

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:20 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
Definitely not legal. I will get it taken down when I get to the office tomorrow.

Now if you were smart, you would make a lower offer (since he has a MAKE AN OFFER option in this auction) to the Seller and buy the HD from him. Then you could take him to court for the sale of an illegally loaded HD. You could also sue him further for any other illegally loaded HDs that he may have sold. That would be the way to start nipping this in the bud. Don't cut the branches off of the tree (all those KJs who are buying illegally loaded HDs). Cut the tree down from its trunk so it can't grow anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:39 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 130 times
MadMusicOne wrote:

My immediate response was going to be, well no of course not. But that should, I guess, be a qualified "no". Unless the HELP license from PEP changed quite recently, a HELP licensee would actually be entitled to use the Sound Choice portions of that drive (but no other portions).

Still entirely illegal for the seller to sell it, but a buyer who'd obtained a copy wouldn't be illegally using the Sound Choice tracks if they bought the HELP license first. Notice how the seller emphasized all tracks were at a minimum bit rate of 192? That's a selling point for a buyer who wants to comply with the HELP requirements. And this is a strange turn no legal host could find comforting.

My guess would also be the seller is lying through his teeth about having all the KV, Zoom, and Sunfly tracks right up through January 2017! That's a little too much to be believed!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:52 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

cueball wrote:
I was bored... I decided to ask the seller a question...

LOL! Great job Cue! I was tempted but figured there'd be no answer. You really baited him in with the disc question, and oh what a hilarious response!

Only trouble is a lot of people are confused about what the PRO licenses are for, so that line of BS the seller stated might just score a sale with an honest but naive buyer :cry:

That's a con game! Let that be added to the charges for bootlegging!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:05 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Elementary Penguin wrote:
My guess would also be the seller is lying through his teeth about having all the KV, Zoom, and Sunfly tracks right up through January 2017! That's a little too much to be believed!

Feeling evil I just asked the seller my own question:

"Does it have "My Shot" from Hamilton?"

KV just released that yesterday.

He immediately answered:

"Yes sure does -scottieboi937"

Maybe we should deluge him with song requests, carefully picking songs we know no one ever made :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:39 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

I baited him a bit further....

Me:

Quote:
ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC do NOT accept payments from you unless you are a Venue Owner... not a KJ who happens to work in a venue (so that part is irrelevant). The legalities come into play with PEP/Sound Choice...and I'm pretty sure you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Him:

Quote:
ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC I've paid into for years owning a karaoke business and still do and am very familiar with their policies. So what you are assuming is computer versions are not allowed unless the CD backs it up? If so, why can anyone go online right now and get every single computer media version on any karaoke manufacturer that is still in business? They offer computer media versions right on their websites of the manufacturers. Then, that would mean every single computerized hosting program is illegal as well. Because I can name 5 of them that let you download computer karaoke immediately for a fee. Sound Choice has not even been in business since the mid-2000's. As long as you or the venue pays royalty fees it is not against the law or illegal to have computer versions of karaoke or sell it. I've been on eBay for years and believe me if you were selling illegally they would boot your auction in a heart beat.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:23 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
I can't wait for Mr. Harrington to step in and put an end to this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:04 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
Hmmm

Quote:
Based in United States, scottieboi937 has been an eBay member since Nov 30, 2008

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:36 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
cueball wrote:
Now if you were smart, you would make a lower offer (since he has a MAKE AN OFFER option in this auction) to the Seller and buy the HD from him. Then you could take him to court for the sale of an illegally loaded HD. You could also sue him further for any other illegally loaded HDs that he may have sold. That would be the way to start nipping this in the bud. Don't cut the branches off of the tree (all those KJs who are buying illegally loaded HDs). Cut the tree down from its trunk so it can't grow anymore.

We do that periodically. In fact, we've done it many times. I'm actually preparing a suit right now against a guy who did this.

We can take a pirate like this to court--if we can find him--and get an injunction. We might even get a nice fat judgment against him. The problem is that collecting on that judgment is usually next to impossible, because the reality is that almost nobody who does this has any assets to speak of. So we have to pay thousands of dollars to investigate, bring a lawsuit, serve the defendant, prosecute the suit, perhaps try the case (although probably not, since liability is clear), supply a bond for the injunction, and THEN we might have an injunction and a judgment against a guy who rents an apartment, leases his car, and makes money by selling the occasional $60 hard drive for $200-$500--oh, and by the way, we've just cut off his ability to make that money in the first place.

So...we pick our battles. I don't have a million-dollar budget to go after these guys, so we do the best we can to throw up roadblocks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:57 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 180 times
Well a quick search of ebay turns up many more sellers of these hard drives. Some even brag
and have pictures of Chartbuster and Sound Choice on the monitor. I have reported some of these
in the past to ebay and they would take them down. But none of the eight or nine I reported last month was removed. Who needs craigslist when you can sell your illegal hard drives on ebay with a wider audience. It is not just Karaoke either music tracks, music videos and normally includes software programs as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:18 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
JimHarrington wrote:

We do that periodically. In fact, we've done it many times. I'm actually preparing a suit right now against a guy who did this.

We can take a pirate like this to court--if we can find him--and get an injunction. We might even get a nice fat judgment against him. The problem is that collecting on that judgment is usually next to impossible, because the reality is that almost nobody who does this has any assets to speak of. So we have to pay thousands of dollars to investigate, bring a lawsuit, serve the defendant, prosecute the suit, perhaps try the case (although probably not, since liability is clear), supply a bond for the injunction, and THEN we might have an injunction and a judgment against a guy who rents an apartment, leases his car, and makes money by selling the occasional $60 hard drive for $200-$500--oh, and by the way, we've just cut off his ability to make that money in the first place.

So...we pick our battles. I don't have a million-dollar budget to go after these guys, so we do the best we can to throw up roadblocks.

8) So if this type of pirate has no assets to speak of Jim, what kind of assets do you think a lone karaoke host is going to have? By your own admission you pay thousands of dollars to investigate (which by the way I doubt), bring a lawsuit etc.etc.etc. with no way to collect? This is a winning plan? No wonder you have been losing ground the last seven years! You are on a quest for deep pockets where none exist. You pick your battles really, I'm just glad you aren't running a real company.

I think it's time to wake up and smell the coffee, you don't have to worry about the pirates on ebay selling out in the open. What about the underground home user abusers that you know you can't to a thing about? They are selling to each other loaded hard drives, no to mention they give them to friends and relations, as gifts for birthdays and at Christmas time, hell they might start using them for door jams soon. I have had patrons that have offered me free loaded hard drives with 100's of thousands of audio and karaoke tracks. You are trying to scoop up the beach with a tiny shovel and pail.

P.S. Personally I have only met one KJ host that SC tried to sue in the Inland Empire, "Out Law Karaoke", when you found out he didn't have a dime you dropped the suit, your statement above shows me you haven't changed your methods. Oh by the way he tried to get a gig from me while I was still in the business, he didn't, he is still playing today up in Banning, probably with the same old illegal hard drive.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:05 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
I don't have a million-dollar budget to go after these guys, so we do the best we can to throw up roadblocks.

I'm sure that, like many of us, Mr. Harrington would like to put an end to piracy. It not only hurts our industry but has caused SC, as well as other karaoke producers, to go out of business. On the other hand, I can understand that it makes no sense to invest time and money on lawsuits where there will be no financial gain. Meaning: Why would you put yourself at risk of losing thousands of dollars when you will end up with nothing in return. Maybe at the very least the pirate will get a judgement, but judgements don't pay the bills.

I really don't know what the answer is and how to stop piracy. I just wish there was a way.

My only suggestion to Mr. Harrington would be to target venues who hire pirates. Get those letters of warning out, make those phone calls and let us help.

You don't have to personally visit every establishment. Most of us know who and where the pirates are in are areas. We can tell you which venues to send letters to. And we can tell you if the venue complied or not.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:10 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
Alan B wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:
I don't have a million-dollar budget to go after these guys, so we do the best we can to throw up roadblocks.

I'm sure that, like many of us, Mr. Harrington would like to put an end to piracy. It not only hurts our industry but has caused SC, as well as other karaoke producers, to go out of business. On the other hand, I can understand that it makes no sense to invest time and money on lawsuits where there will be no financial gain. Meaning: Why would you put yourself at risk of losing thousands of dollars when you will end up with nothing in return. Maybe at the very least the pirate will get a judgement, but judgements don't pay the bills.

I really don't know what the answer is and how to stop piracy. I just wish there was a way.

My only suggestion to Mr. Harrington would be to target venues who hire pirates. Get those letters of warning out, make those phone calls and let us help.
and many of us have been doing that for years, but to date, not one single report has ever been investigated.
not just my word, about every 7-8 months the question is posed "who has had any of their reports investigated" and the response is 100% no.
hell, i'm in my 7th year of waiting...
You don't have to personally visit every establishment. Most of us know who and where the pirates are in are areas. We can tell you which venues to send letters to. And we can tell you if the venue complied or not.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:30 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Alan B wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:

Do like Madonna: "I Have Thought An Awful Lot About Blowing Up The White House". Take out White House and insert your local pirate bar. :lol:

BTW This is a JOKE. I do not condone her actions or thoughts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:42 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

Eloquently said.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:49 pm