KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Slep-tone's TM Claims Die in 9th Circuit Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:51 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 307 times
JimHarrington wrote:
RaokeBoy wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:
Gosh, it's a good thing we have those service mark registrations. Those weren't at issue in this case, and we've already moved forward with asserting those.

So James, precisely how are you distinguishing the "service mark" theory from the trademark theory that pushed PEP off the building in the 9th Circuit? Do you really think that it will be applied differently? Maybe some will seek reimbursement of attorneys' fees for this distinction without a difference?

If you don't understand the difference between karaoke media and karaoke entertainment services, I'm not sure that any amount of explaining will result in your enlightenment.

Yeah, that's a lot like understanding the difference between trademark infringement and copyright infringement.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:14 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
Karaoke Croaker wrote:
My mechanic has an affiliation with SNAP-ON Tools....as a customer. If the SNAP-ON sales person gives him and his employees complimentary T-Shirts for buying his products; wearing said T-shirts is nothing but FREE advertising for SNAP-ON. That is the main reason SNAP-ON gives those T-shirts away for FREE. Sound choice plastered their logo all over their karaoke tracks for the same reason. They wanted consumers to see their name and hopefully recognize it when they went to their local karaoke store. When the local karaoke host plays a Sound Choice track; he is giving Sound Choice FREE advertising and Sound Choice should be thanking him or her. Instead, Sound Choice tries to find a way to file a law suit against that KJ to punish them because they showed the Sound Choice logo. If the same KJ plays the same exact track from a disc instead of his hard drive the same exact logo gets displayed on the screen and no one thinks that the KJ is affiliated with Sound Choice in any other way than being one of their customers. I've been to disc based shows and I've been to computer based shows and I have never been confused as to what their affiliation is to Sound Choice. Sound Choice seems to be on a loooooong losing streak in the court room as of late and I don't think that things are going to change any time soon.

The whole point is that these people aren't our customers. They are thieves who are using our good name to make money using product they stole. (Which, by the way, proves my point. You think they're our customers, and they're not.)

Why the (@$%&#!) would we ever thank people who stole our product? No amount of "advertising" is worth that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:41 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 108 times
You can't prove that they stole anything from you and they are under no obligation to prove what they bought and from whom? The courts have told you numerous times now that you don't have a case. it's time to give up the ghost. How many suckers can be left out there that will fall for your scam? If someone bought a loaded hard drive and went into the karaoke business; the court would consider them a victim of whoever sold them the drive. You're SOL, Jimbo; but keep spinning them wheels. It's fun to watch. SBI, KV and BKD have made hundreds, if not thousands, of new songs in the last 7 years while your enterprise has made zero. Do you really think that the Sound Choice brand is even relevant in today's karaoke world? Everybody already has just about every Sound Choice song ever created and they will spend their karaoke money on new songs; not your old collection from last century.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:53 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

A-Rod used to be a Major Home Run threat every time he came to the plate. Last year it got so bad that the Yankees released him from his contract and paid him to go away. Your batting average has dropped even lower than A-Rods. It's time to retire your bat and glove and try something new.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:13 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 130 times
I've hosted over a thousand shows and attended thousands more shows than that. One of the most definite and certain things I've learned is that 99% of the customers have no clue karaoke manufacturers even exist, much less anything about differences in brands. Despite seeing a logo every time any song starts all night long. They do not come close to associating those logos with a company that made the track, or the disc the track sits on. The default opinion is these songs grow on trees and they don't even cost money for the host to obtain. They can be looking right at the DK logo when I ask them who made this track, recording, whatever word you care to use, and if it's a Beatles song they will answer "The Beatles". If Pink Floyd starts playing and they are looking right at the SC logo, their answer will be "Pink Floyd". I've banged my head on the wall explaining it for years, but it's only getting worse with the younger and younger audiences.

I've got singers I've had for ten years, and if I have some reason to mention my company name in a sentence with them, they invariably ask who's that? Well it's me, the company name on the cover of the books for gosh sake, the name I use plugging myself on the mic every night. "Oh, I didn't know you were a company, I thought you were just the karaoke guy."

They couldn't confuse hosts with manufacturing companies if they tried, because for 99% of them the manufacturers don't exist in the first place. The logos are just fleeting screen decorations. They can't even associate the host with the host's company, because that doesn't exist to them either.

It's just a guy playing a Beatles song, or a guy playing a Beyonce song, and there's nothing more to it than that. You can't confuse one company with another company, when zero companies exist in your head. You can't confuse a host with a company, when you have zero companies in your head. When you can't even associate the KJ with his own company, despite him repeatedly trying to get you to, you're not about to confuse him with any other company you don't even recognize in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:11 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
JimHarrington wrote:

The whole point is that these people aren't our customers. They are thieves who are using our good name to make money using product they stole. (Which, by the way, proves my point. You think they're our customers, and they're not.)

Why the <span style=font-size:10px><i>(@$%&#!)</i></span> would we ever thank people who stole our product? No amount of "advertising" is worth that.

8) You are right Jim these people aren't your customers. They have used your product without your permission, and maybe didn't pay for it. Then again back in the beginning it wasn't established that there was any firm rules about how to use your product, or that permission was needed to take product and shift it to a PC. This all evolved because of changes in technology that modernized the karaoke service industry that no one anticipated. Your company did not keep pace with the changes, and only became alarmed when the money stopped pouring in. Other manufacturers have gotten out of the business, just like several karaoke disc player companies have stopped production. The times have changed, and instead of developing new product, you want to use legal action to sell your outdated product. Every product has a shelf life and yours has expired, you just refuse to accept it.

Getting back to the people that are your loyal customers, how have you treated them? You have forced them to get audits most of which had to be paid for by the customers. You have made them feel guilty about shifting their purchased discs to a PC, even though it was for security and convenience reasons. This was a purely business decision made by the owner operator of that business. Then to top everything off you start hinting that new production is going to begin, when you know you no longer have the capital to start up production again. You try to get your loyal customers to buy ahead of time an unseen untested mystery product. The people that have done the most to hurt the good name of your company is not the pirates, but rather you and Kurt. It's time to look in the mirror and take responsibility for your own mistakes, and not blame others.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:49 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 197 times
JimHarrington wrote:
Our service mark is simply SOUND CHOICE or the familiar SOUND CHOICE logo, registered for "Entertainment services in the nature of karaoke shows" (two separate registrations, one per mark).

I'll refer you to the text of 15 U.S.C. § 1114, first paragraph:

Any person who shall, without the consent of the registrant—

(a) use in commerce any reproduction, counterfeit, copy, or colorable imitation of a registered mark in connection with the sale, offering for sale, distribution, or advertising of any goods or services on or in connection with which such use is likely to cause confusion, or to cause mistake, or to deceive; ...

shall be liable in a civil action by the registrant for the remedies hereinafter provided.

Over the course of a typical karaoke show, a typical pirate operator displays our logo between 60 and 90 times, sometimes more. That logo is displayed in connection with the distribution and advertising of karaoke entertainment services (which include hosting, supplying sound equipment, and controlling the operation of the show, among other services) and, in the case of the bar, food and beverage services. While the isolated display of one logo might not give rise to consumer confusion about sponsorship or affiliation, the consistent, nearly exclusive display of our logos while those services are being provided provides a strong suggestion that the operator and/or the bar is affiliated with us.

"(a) use in commerce any reproduction, counterfeit, copy, or colorable imitation of a registered mark in connection with the sale, offering for sale, distribution, or advertising of any goods or services on or in connection with which such use is likely to cause confusion, or to cause mistake, or to deceive; ..."

Again, key words being "...which such use is likely to cause confusion, or to cause mistake, or to deceive; ..."

It's already been proven that there's no confusion, mistake or deception because since we're not selling, offering to sell, distribute or advertise any Sound Choice good or service. A trademarked logo is simply being displayed. Nothing more, nothing less. Good thing the courts see it this way, huh? Not so good for the HELP license thingy, though.

"...provides a strong suggestion that..." but does not definitively prove....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:07 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
so if i understand this correctly, any host who does, or has, since 1989 played SC at their show, has been infringing on your service mark and confusing people into believing that they are part of, or affiliated with Sound Choice by using the tracks that Sound Choice sold to them for the purpose of providing karaoke shows.

and since the certifications, GEM licenses, and HELP licenses only provide explicit permission (which is necessary but not necessarily sufficient) for use of the TRADEMARK and NOT the SERVICE MARK (which are two different things i understand) so in the realm of technicalities (in which this entire thing has been for nearly a decade) 100% of us here are infringing.
sounds reasonable :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:21 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
so if i understand this correctly, any host who does, or has, since 1989 played SC at their show, has been infringing on your service mark and confusing people into believing that they are part of, or affiliated with Sound Choice by using the tracks that Sound Choice sold to them for the purpose of providing karaoke shows.

and since the certifications, GEM licenses, and HELP licenses only provide explicit permission (which is necessary but not necessarily sufficient) for use of the TRADEMARK and NOT the SERVICE MARK (which are two different things i understand) so in the realm of technicalities (in which this entire thing has been for nearly a decade) 100% of us here are infringing.

Paradigm, Are you feeling the LOVE yet?

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:00 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

We actually started releasing audiovisual tracks in 1992, I think. I don't think that matters to your argument.

If they were using original discs, then no, that wouldn't be infringement, for a couple of different reasons. In any event, the statute of limitations on such activities expired a long time ago.

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

This is not correct. The GEM licenses and HELP licenses all provide explicit permission for use of both the trademarks and the service marks. For example, the HELP license defines "Marks" as follows:

The term "Marks" refers to the trademarks identified in U.S. Trademark Registrations No. 1,923,448 and No. 4,099,045 (SOUND CHOICE), and No. 2,000,725 and No. 4,099,052 (SOUND CHOICE & Design, also known as the Sound Choice Logo). "Marks" also includes the Licensor's distinctive trade dress as applied to karaoke accompaniment tracks, comprising the non-functional elements of changing-color lyrics, singing cues, the particular typeface and layout of the lyrics, and logos and other graphical elements.

4,099,045 and 4,099,052 are the service mark registrations. The GEM series license also (now) specifically mentions those same registrations. We didn't have the registrations when the GEM license agreement was first written, but there was language that referred to those rights.

That HELP license agreement also includes the following grant of rights:

To display the Marks during a Commercial Karaoke Show to one or more patrons during the provision of live karaoke services

The GEM license expressly calls out the following as one of your rights:

the display of the Marks in connection with your providing live karaoke entertainment services to third parties

The certification Covenant Not to Sue does not explicitly grant rights under the service mark, but it puts the certified KJ in the same position as they would be in with regard to original disc usage, and for that reason, it's also not a service mark infringement.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:03 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Where is Chip when you need him?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:04 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Karaoke Croaker wrote:

What's the matter--having a hard time distorting things on your own?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:06 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

8) You think maybe Paradigm we all have been chasing the white rabbit down the hole? I know lawyers are supposed to be good at splitting hares but this is too much!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:08 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
Karaoke Croaker wrote:

8) Oh and Jim I guess you have never spun or distorted anything? :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:09 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

According to estimates; 9 out of 10 KJs are using "stolen" tracks. If what they are doing is actionable; you would think the PEP would be winning law suits like shooting fish in a barrel but they seem to be losing battles at every turn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:15 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 307 times
Wasn't this addressed by the United States Court of Appeals
For the Seventh Circuit?

No. 15-2844
page 23

Quote:
That the Sound Choice mark is embedded in the creative
content of the karaoke track and is visible to the public
whenever the track is played does not falsely suggest that Slep-Tone is endorsing the performance, as the plaintiffs have alleged. The producers of communicative goods often embed their marks not only on the packaging of the good but in its content. Cinematic films, for example, typically display the mark of the studio that made the film in the opening and/or closing credits—think of Metro- Goldwyn-Mayer Studios’ roaring lion.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:16 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
Karaoke Croaker wrote:

I know that you would love it if everyone just bought your stories hook line and sinker but Chip Staley seems to offer an alternate perspective on this issue so people have more than one source of information to base their opinions on. Chip seems to be correct more often than not so it would be nice to read his take on another district court denying your wishes. Information is always good.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:17 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:
Karaoke Croaker wrote:

8) Oh and Jim I guess you have never spun or distorted anything? :roll: :roll: :roll:

I have no need to spin or distort anything.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:19 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) Not even all of your legal reverses? :order: :order: :order:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:22 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

earthling12357 wrote:
Wasn't this addressed by the United States Court of Appeals
For the Seventh Circuit?

No. 15-2844
page 23

Quote:
That the Sound Choice mark is embedded in the creative
content of the karaoke track and is visible to the public
whenever the track is played does not falsely suggest that Slep-Tone is endorsing the performance, as the plaintiffs have alleged. The producers of communicative goods often embed their marks not only on the packaging of the good but in its content. Cinematic films, for example, typically display the mark of the studio that made the film in the opening and/or closing credits—think of Metro- Goldwyn-Mayer Studios’ roaring lion.

"Performance" is not congruent to "karaoke entertainment services." I agree that the display of a single SC logo displayed in the course of a four-hour show would not necessarily suggest our endorsement. When the logo is displayed 100 times in a night, all on wildly different songs, night after night after night, it's a different story. The Seventh Circuit apparently did not see fit to address that point, probably because it didn't fit their preferred decision.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next