KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Establishments being sent letters Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:18 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
mrscott wrote:
Jim, Harrington,

Your reasoning and outcome for fewer venues = more $ is total horse poop. And you know it. Good competition builds sales. And that is a fact.

Years ago, the county I live had 17,000 or so residents (mostly non drinkers) and had 8 bars, 6 of which were very busy. Our drinker to non drinker ratio is about 1 drinker to 8 non drinkers (or bar-goes if you wish). Meaning that there were approximately 2125 drinkers/bar goers in the county. Divide that among the 8 bars (or even just the 6), you get about 354 potential patrons per bar. Now if only 25% of those goes out on a semi regular basis to have a good time per week or even bi-weekly,,, you get about 88 patrons per bar. Not too shabby for very small bars in my opinion. Over the years all but one of those bars shut down for various reasons; poor management, deaths of owners, selling out for new busness',,etc.

Move forward to modern days. OK, now we have almost 30 thousand residents and the only bar standing was the busiest of the original 8. We have 4 larger towns in the county and the county is about 53 miles from north to south in area. We still have about the same drinker/non drinker ration (1:8) as was years ago.

Mr. Harrington, by using your concept, that one remaining bar should be slammed,,,right??? OH, how WRONG you would be!! It's deader than ever. I stopped hosting there last year because it became evident that the bar is floundering. The owner is a very well loved lady who is the right person to run the place and had a good handle of what is going to do the best as far as drawing patrons.

The fact is, for various reasons all over the nation, bar business' are struggling to expand or even just to compete. With rising operational fees, taxes and continuing pressure from law enforcement. Just because there are fewer bars does NOT mean more revenue, that concept is totally false, and you know it.

Your personal comments about me aside, it looks to me like the owner of that bar, no matter how well loved she might be, is not the right person to run the place and doesn't have a good handle of "what is going to do the best as far as drawing patrons."

The reason why I can say that is because she's not drawing patrons. Despite having survived whatever killed the competition, she hasn't managed to capture any of the demand left wanting when the competition died, and has managed to lose some of what she had. You say she's done everything right. She might have done everything possible, but she didn't do something right because the result has been poor.

In other words, what you're saying doesn't make sense. You're saying that despite being the only bar in a town of 30,000, with more than 3,000 drinkers in it, this bar can't get enough patrons to support karaoke night.

I suspect that it has very little to do with karaoke, or the presence or absence of competition. Perhaps the area is economically depressed, and people simply can't afford to spend money at a bar on a regular basis. That has nothing to do with karaoke. But if there were still 8 bars in town, the situation would probably be worse, not better.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:39 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 330 times
JimHarrington wrote:
mrscott wrote:
Jim, Harrington,

Your reasoning and outcome for fewer venues = more $ is total horse poop. And you know it. Good competition builds sales. And that is a fact.

Years ago, the county I live had 17,000 or so residents (mostly non drinkers) and had 8 bars, 6 of which were very busy. Our drinker to non drinker ratio is about 1 drinker to 8 non drinkers (or bar-goes if you wish). Meaning that there were approximately 2125 drinkers/bar goers in the county. Divide that among the 8 bars (or even just the 6), you get about 354 potential patrons per bar. Now if only 25% of those goes out on a semi regular basis to have a good time per week or even bi-weekly,,, you get about 88 patrons per bar. Not too shabby for very small bars in my opinion. Over the years all but one of those bars shut down for various reasons; poor management, deaths of owners, selling out for new busness',,etc.

Move forward to modern days. OK, now we have almost 30 thousand residents and the only bar standing was the busiest of the original 8. We have 4 larger towns in the county and the county is about 53 miles from north to south in area. We still have about the same drinker/non drinker ration (1:8) as was years ago.

Mr. Harrington, by using your concept, that one remaining bar should be slammed,,,right??? OH, how WRONG you would be!! It's deader than ever. I stopped hosting there last year because it became evident that the bar is floundering. The owner is a very well loved lady who is the right person to run the place and had a good handle of what is going to do the best as far as drawing patrons.

The fact is, for various reasons all over the nation, bar business' are struggling to expand or even just to compete. With rising operational fees, taxes and continuing pressure from law enforcement. Just because there are fewer bars does NOT mean more revenue, that concept is totally false, and you know it.

Your personal comments about me aside, it looks to me like the owner of that bar, no matter how well loved she might be, is not the right person to run the place and doesn't have a good handle of "what is going to do the best as far as drawing patrons."

The reason why I can say that is because she's not drawing patrons. Despite having survived whatever killed the competition, she hasn't managed to capture any of the demand left wanting when the competition died, and has managed to lose some of what she had. You say she's done everything right. She might have done everything possible, but she didn't do something right because the result has been poor.

In other words, what you're saying doesn't make sense. You're saying that despite being the only bar in a town of 30,000, with more than 3,000 drinkers in it, this bar can't get enough patrons to support karaoke night.

I suspect that it has very little to do with karaoke, or the presence or absence of competition. Perhaps the area is economically depressed, and people simply can't afford to spend money at a bar on a regular basis. That has nothing to do with karaoke. But if there were still 8 bars in town, the situation would probably be worse, not better.

Again,,, so wrong you are. The town/county is really not economically depressed, it's actually holding it's own nicely. The various reasoning that the other bars are no longer around has no bearing on what she is or is not doing. The fact she IS the right person for the job, but I will agree she has failed to capture what the patrons are wanting at this point in time. She hasn't really moved forward into the 21st century like I said before. Karaoke there used to be vibrant and totally accepted. However now, it just isn't what the patrons are asking for. The owner hasn't yet discovered what the "what" is yet. Hopefully soon before she goes down like the others.

Living in the past never got anyone successful. Business' need to always be innovative and fresh,,, just as karaoke should be. The people you are working for are no longer among those who are "innovative or fresh". You have become irrelevant. I honestly hate to see that happening, because I for one, really liked the product that Sound Choice put out back in the day.... well those days are gone.

Just like the owner of the last standing bar, Sound Choice/PEP or whatever you call yourself these days, NEED to let go and start over. Maybe the lack of resources (money) is a problem for both your employer and the bar, that is not for me to say. But from where everyone is standing and seeing, change is in order.

I watch Bar Rescue on a regular basis, and what John Taffer says is gospel truth, "I don't embrace excuses, I embrace solutions". Karaoke was great in the 90"s and early 2000's because it was new, fun and exciting. It's definitely not new anymore.

Now as far as the personal remarks I made, I am sorry if those appear to be offensive. But in all honesty,, that is how you and your company are making yourselves out to be. Whether you agree with it or not, or true or not, it is the general opinion. Sorry if that is too personal.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:04 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
JimHarrington wrote:
Party Tyme's sales are almost exclusively to the home market, via brick-and-mortar retail.

KSF, Party Tyme's content partner, is a foreign entity with access to markets where licensing is a simple transaction, not a protracted negotiation.
Party Tyme in disc form is fully allowed for kj use as well. The KSF karaoke.net is a US operation and all downloads sold in the US are fully licensed for US 'KJ/pro' use. Here is an answer in their FAQ
Quote:
Our tracks are fully licensed for both home or professional use. The license does not include a Performance Right license. Venues are responsible for securing these types of license.

KSF Entertainment US, Inc.
2252 Killearn Center Blvd.
Tallahassee, FL 32309
United States
usa@ksf.net
Toll free: 800 965 6691
Direct: +1 850 688 3237

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:13 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
It's really funny how the story changes with Harrington when the previous story doesn't fit the agenda. First, the suits would help eliminate pirates because the market was so saturated. Then, when PEP decided to enter into the hosting business the story was there is plenty to go around. Now we are back to the market being so saturated with pirates story.

He's worse than Hillary and Trump all rolled into one. I am sure he will explain this with some BS, but the bottom line is the story changes to fit the current agenda. People need to understand they are reading the comments of a lawyer that will say whatever works best for his client and not you and definitely not what's best for the industry.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:06 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 307 times
mrscott wrote:
Living in the past never got anyone successful. Business' need to always be innovative and fresh,,, just as karaoke should be.

As self proclaimed karaoke industry disruptors, the PEP litigation factory has always approached their lawsuits with innovative and fresh disruptions.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:09 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 197 times
MrBoo wrote:
It's really funny how the story changes with Harrington when the previous story doesn't fit the agenda. First, the suits would help eliminate pirates because the market was so saturated. Then, when PEP decided to enter into the hosting business the story was there is plenty to go around. Now we are back to the market being so saturated with pirates story.

He's worse than Hillary and Trump all rolled into one. I am sure he will explain this with some BS, but the bottom line is the story changes to fit the current agenda. People need to understand they are reading the comments of a lawyer that will say whatever works best for his client and not you and definitely not what's best for the industry.

What do you expect? He's a lawyer and he also has a financial interest in the company he litigates for. He's sure not gonna share any loopholes to get you around what they're doing. They make money, in part, through people buying GEM or bs HELP licenses. Not bs for them, of course, but if you're dumb enough to make monthly payments for pirated material, then go ahead and be that fool. Sure, it will keep them from suing you, but $129 a month buys an awful lot of music these days, music that you'll actually use, considering probably 90% of their 19,000 song catalog will never get sung at a show.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:17 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Quote:
Party Tyme's sales are almost exclusively to the home market, via brick-and-mortar retail.

KSF, Party Tyme's content partner, is a foreign entity with access to markets where licensing is a simple transaction, not a protracted negotiation.

To keep the record straight, Party Tyme is owned by Sybersound - a private US company. KSF Entertainment is a US based company that handles the digital distribution of Sybersound content and is listed in all licenses with the publishers. Neither of the companies share the annual turnover and the percentages of the various channels of distribution. The statement made by Jim is not based on fact and is inaccurate. KSF Entertainment Group is a Finnish company that owns and operates Customburn.com and does not conduct business in the USA.

Karaoke.net is thriving as a result of the support from both home users, KJ's and club owners who wish to have licensed content in their venues. I won't comment on the other arguments in this thread other than to say - thank you...People want a legal alternative and we will continue to provide it.

Last edited by SINGA USA on Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:21 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

KSFGROUP wrote:
To keep the record straight, Party Tyme is owned by Sybersound - a private US company. KSF Entertainment is a US based company that handles the digital distribution of Sybersound content and is listed in all licenses with the publishers. Neither of the companies share the annual turnover and the percentages of the various channels of distribution. The statement made by Jim is not based on fact and is inaccurate. KSF Entertainment Group is a Finnish company that owns and operates Customburn.com and does not conduct business in the USA.

Thank you for clarifying the relationship between KSF and Sybersound. I apologize for any inaccuracies.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:23 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

You are welcome

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:57 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 330 times
I want to add that the bar/night life in general in my state is failing. Not because of karaoke, but because attitudes and habits are changing. Karaoke is having no trouble dying all on it's own. Not to forget the efforts that seem to being made by a certain group trying to scare/coerce bars into paying these "fees". The cost of doing business is already out of hand for these bar owners, and to say things like "if they can't afford to pay the fees, they shouldn't be in business". Some places, without karaoke WILL close down. And adding these extra expense will break the camels back. Sending these letters of "information" to bring on panic will do absolutely no good. It's like a bad cop setting up a speed trap all on his own, telling speeders,, "either pay me ,, or pay the courts"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:24 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mrscott wrote:
I want to add that the bar/night life in general in my state is failing. Not because of karaoke, but because attitudes and habits are changing. Karaoke is having no trouble dying all on it's own. Not to forget the efforts that seem to being made by a certain group trying to scare/coerce bars into paying these "fees". The cost of doing business is already out of hand for these bar owners, and to say things like "if they can't afford to pay the fees, they shouldn't be in business". Some places, without karaoke WILL close down. And adding these extra expense will break the camels back. Sending these letters of "information" to bring on panic will do absolutely no good. It's like a bad cop setting up a speed trap all on his own, telling speeders,, "either pay me ,, or pay the courts"

If a bar owner said to his beer distributor, "Hey, I can't afford to pay for my beer, because the cost of business is just out of hand," how long do you think it would take that beer distributor to stop making deliveries?

If the beer bill went unpaid, how long would it take the distributor to go to court to get his money? How long should the beer distributor go without warning the bar?

If a bar cannot afford to hire legal karaoke at a reasonable rate, it should not have karaoke. We are unwilling to allow bars to plead poverty, financial conditions, regulations, taxes, or whatever, refuse to hire legal KJs, and still have the use of our products as part of their profitmaking enterprise. This music is NOT FREE, and it is long past time for venues to stop treating it as though it is.

If you can't afford it, you don't need it. Sorry if that's scary, but it's the way it is. If that means half or more of the bars stop having karaoke, so be it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:44 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
Okay everybody... STOP ALREADY! I can't laugh and eat any more popcorn at the same time!

I've had to clean my monitor 4 times already!
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

It does crack me up though that the only temporary summer gig Harrington mentions requires that he move equipment through at least 5 states and a foreign country to get there... :lol:

But seriously, I'm just kidding.... carry on!

And, by the way:
JimHarrington wrote:
Our last show of the season in Denali was on 9/18, so I guess your research isn't very good.
Well, my "research" was the information directly from the "social media advertising" for the club itself....

And I noticed that earlier in the year, the advertised time was 9:00pm then 10:00pm and then (as above) it moves again to 11:00pm and a teensy square on the 17th mentioning "karaoke party starts back at 9:00pm" again?

9pm, 10pm, 11pm and then 9pm? What a novel idea! How's that working out for you? Here's a tip: Make sure that you cancel karaoke whenever there's an important sports game on too. The singers will be so hot to sing the next week, you'll be slammed! (trust me)

But the point is that the only "advertising" I could find for your gig said it was over and done.... twice. And I've seen ZERO from you. As a marketing manager, don't you think there should be even a little coordination between the karaoke operator and the establishment? Especially if you have to drive through 5 states and foreign country just to get there. (If these are different locations and times, that's not very clear in the "advertising.")

(you might want to check your own business operations before you open your mouth like a know-it-all to complain and criticize others that really are and have been in this side of the business much longer than 3 months)

Last edited by c. staley on Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:59 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
Earlier this month I was in Alaska.. (Go figure)

Karaoke everywhere..

We even drove up into Yukon Territory above British Columbia, ..
Sang my a$$ off.

Didn't see much SC..

Great trip.. Recommend it..

Flew first class to Sea-Tac, jumped on the cruise ship, headed North..

Great time.. Even had Karaoke on the ship.. :shock:

First class air home..

Relax, it's all good.. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:03 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
JimHarrington wrote:
If a bar cannot afford to hire legal karaoke at a reasonable rate, it should not have karaoke. We are unwilling to allow bars to plead poverty, financial conditions, regulations, taxes, or whatever, refuse to hire legal KJs, and still have the use of our products as part of their profitmaking enterprise. This music is NOT FREE, and it is long past time for venues to stop treating it as though it is.

If you can't afford it, you don't need it. Sorry if that's scary, but it's the way it is. If that means half or more of the bars stop having karaoke, so be it.

And who are YOU to tell a Bar/Venue what they can and can not pay to a "Legal" KJ? I remember about 15 years ago, when Matt (Knightshow (R.I.P.)) lived in Portland OR, and was hosting Karaoke, he said the going rate was $75 for a 4-5 hour show. No bar out there was willing to pay more. I have a felling that nothing's changed out there.

And, isn't that sweet of you to not give a crap about KJs that can't get ANY work because YOU FEEL that if the Bars can't afford to pay a decent rate (BTW... Define "DECENT RATE" (since that varies from region to region)), then the Bars shouldn't hire a KJ at any rate (below a "Decent Rate).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:57 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Elementary Penguin wrote:
kameragurl wrote:
Hi, everyone.

My son in-law does karaoke 6 nights a week. Recently he was told that some of the establishments were sent letters regarding the kj needing discs to go with the music He has on his computer. I have quite a few discs including the black and white Sound Choice discs. There are other discs I purchased a while back that are yellow, green, blue, etc. Does anyone know, roughly, about how much those discs would be worth to a KJ that needs them due to those letters? Thank you in advance. :)

But if your son-in-law's computer tracks were pulled from those same discs (not sure if that's what you meant?) then you or he has to retain them for him to remain legal. If I misunderstood the situation, nevermind :)

He's gonna get them when he pays the money. Right now they are put away for safe keeping.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:28 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Ok. Those cities are in Texas. The establishments where he plays got the letters. I have original discs that he will get when he pays for them.

Also I would like to ask another question. If an establishment has their own system,even though they pay their fees, would they have to have the original discs, as well? Would the person that is doing the actual show, who is not an establishment staff member, have to be licensed?

Last edited by kameragurl on Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:30 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
gd123 wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, you need to leave the Business of Karaoke to Professionals.

You seem to have a very low opinion of your patrons. Perhaps that's deserved, perhaps not.

That being said, maybe your points are valid, maybe not. I guess we'll have to see.

I don't have to wait to see if his points are valid because I know gd123... and he's been rated as the "#1 karaoke company" in a city of almost 1,000,000 (yes, that's "a million") for a number of years.... in a row.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:39 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

kameragurl wrote:
Ok. So,my son in-law, does shows in Tomball, Spring, and Houston. Those cities are in Texas. The establishments where he plays got the letters. I have original discs that he will get when he pays for them.

Also I would like to ask another question. If an establishment has their own system,even though they pay their fees, would they have to have the original discs, as well? Would the person that is doing the actual show, who is not an establishment staff member, have to be licensed?

Check your private messages.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:21 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
kameragurl wrote:
Ok. So,my son in-law, does shows in Tomball, Spring, and Houston. Those cities are in Texas. The establishments where he plays got the letters. I have original discs that he will get when he pays for them.

OK... let me first start off by apologizing for my earlier accusation about you. What you wrote now (about selling your SC discs to your Son-in-Law) makes a little more sense to me. I'm assuming that you have all of the specific SC discs that he needs to be 1:1. Did he ever have the original discs to begin with (you can answer that in a PM, rather than get him in any possible trouble)?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:35 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

c. staley wrote:
I don't have to wait to see if his points are valid because I know gd123... and he's been rated as the "#1 karaoke company" in a city of almost 1,000,000 (yes, that's "a million") for a number of years.... in a row.

Okay, sure.

And my operations manager's company has been rated the number one karaoke company in a city of more than 1 million for a number of years in a row. He disagrees with gd123.

So we'll have to see.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next