KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Establishments being sent letters Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:15 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
Smoothedge69 wrote:
Alan B wrote:
The problem is that they might get good people fired from their shows. People like me, who do not use SC, do not deserve to lose our jobs just for your fight against pirates.

If you don't use SC or CB, there is no reason why any venue you service would receive a letter from us.

We don't send out random letters.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:18 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
JimHarrington wrote:
Smoothedge69 wrote:
Alan B wrote:
The problem is that they might get good people fired from their shows. People like me, who do not use SC, do not deserve to lose our jobs just for your fight against pirates.

If you don't use SC or CB, there is no reason why any venue you service would receive a letter from us.

Actually, I am a register CB user.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:25 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1049 times
Smoothedge69 wrote:

And we are so proud of you!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:56 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Smoothedge69 wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:
Smoothedge69 wrote:
Alan B wrote:

Then your venues would definitely not get letters from us.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:51 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 108 times
One piece of Paper, an envelope and a stamp is a cheap way to hopefully scare someone into becoming an unwilling customer. They must be in a hurry to grab as much fast cash as they can before the ruling in District 7 becomes more widely advertised. They must really be counting on the average venue's ignorance about that ruling. Why Not? I guess they really have nothing to lose by sending a letter rather than filing an actual law suit. Those filings cost a lot more money....especially when you know that there is already a federal ruling against your tactics.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:13 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Karaoke Croaker wrote:
One piece of Paper, an envelope and a stamp is a cheap way to hopefully scare someone into becoming an unwilling customer. They must be in a hurry to grab as much fast cash as they can before the ruling in District 7 becomes more widely advertised. They must really be counting on the average venue's ignorance about that ruling. Why Not? I guess they really have nothing to lose by sending a letter rather than filing an actual law suit. Those filings cost a lot more money....especially when you know that there is already a federal ruling against your tactics.

One federal ruling against, 18 for. Ignorant.

Letters: We've been sending letters to venues for years. Ignorant.

Cheap: Before we send a letter, we do hours of costly preliminary investigative work, then when our letters get ignored, we follow that with hours more. Ignorant.

Scaring venues: Venues that use pirate karaoke deserve to be scared. But our letters aren't threatening. They are designed to educate venues about the issues. Ignorant.

You've got a lot of nerve, coming on here and posting your fraudulent assertions, based as they are in ignorance. You hide behind a pseudonym and spew that ignorance to anyone who'll listen, just because you think it's fun to promote stealing. It's pathetic.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:08 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 116 times
JimHarrington wrote:
Smoothedge69 wrote:
Alan B wrote:

Jim, if you don't send random letters why did you say this?

JimHarrington wrote:
Besides, what would I say?

You know that thing Kurt said, that you criticized him for saying, about how suits drive sales? This is what he was talking about.

In the last month or so, we've sent warning letters in two major cities where we've never taken action to date. All of a sudden, we get a bunch of HELP license applications from those areas.

It is only the threat of legal action that spurs people to pay for what they use.

So it looks like you do send random letters. Just wondering.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:35 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

bazinga wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:
Smoothedge69 wrote:
Alan B wrote:

JimHarrington wrote:

You know that thing Kurt said, that you criticized him for saying, about how suits drive sales? This is what he was talking about.

In the last month or so, we've sent warning letters in two major cities where we've never taken action to date. All of a sudden, we get a bunch of HELP license applications from those areas.

It is only the threat of legal action that spurs people to pay for what they use.

I don't follow. These are cities where we've never filed a lawsuit. What makes you think the letter targets were random?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:04 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

It only takes one ruling against you to open up the eyes of all of the other people you go after to realize that there is a valid defense to your attacks. Most venue operators don't have their hand on the pulse of the karaoke legal issues that karaoke fans have. They are more than likely ignorant of the fact that in District 7, you had your a$$e$ handed to you. You send out these trolling letters in hopes that these same people would rather just settle, with a check of course, before they would spend even more money on an attorney to investigate why District 7 thought that your legal claims were nothing but trolling for settlements and that there is nothing illegal about media shifting karaoke tracks. Your "letters" are nothing more than "panhandling" in my opinion. Big man with a law degree can only make a living by filing law suits against KJs that are working for peanuts in the first place. If they want to keep making peanuts, you want half of their peanuts. And people wonder why lawyers get no respect.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:18 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

You've never even seen one of our letters. What makes you so certain they are "trolling" letters?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:21 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 116 times
JimHarrington wrote:
bazinga wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:
Smoothedge69 wrote:
Alan B wrote:

JimHarrington wrote:

I don't follow. These are cities where we've never filed a lawsuit. What makes you think the letter targets were random?

It looks like you sent letters to these establishments but did not do the investigative work. You sent the letters to try to scare them, which it looks like it worked. The letters to the establishment might have employed a legal KJ but you didn't care, you just wanted to instill fear. That's the way I see it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:29 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

bazinga wrote:
It looks like you sent letters to these establishments but did not do the investigative work. You sent the letters to try to scare them, which it looks like it worked. The letters to the establishment might have employed a legal KJ but you didn't care, you just wanted to instill fear. That's the way I see it.

Either you're misinformed or you're making assumptions that don't have any basis in fact.

The letters we send are only sent after a preliminary investigation. The purpose of the letters is to inform the venue that they are using an unlicensed operator, to explain why that's a problem, and to invite them to sign up for the free Safe Harbor program. We also identify other options that venues have for avoiding infringement.

We do not ask for money in these letters. Period.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:30 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

But that does raise an interesting question.

Should venues be able to hire pirate karaoke and not face any consequences for doing so?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:49 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
JimHarrington wrote:

Should venues be able to hire pirate karaoke and not face any consequences for doing so?

That assumes the venue has actually looked into their KJ host.

If anything, most venues look at is the cost of service. It doesn't matter if I'm legal, or insured, or how good my equipment is, or if pay my taxes etc.. The main question is almost always "How much for how long?" followed by "How big is your following?"

I guess if the venue owns the pirated tracks, you might have a case.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:17 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
JimHarrington wrote:

are you calling anyone who has not paid a second time a pirate?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:22 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Toastedmuffin wrote:
That assumes the venue has actually looked into their KJ host.

If anything, most venues look at is the cost of service. It doesn't matter if I'm legal, or insured, or how good my equipment is, or if pay my taxes etc.. The main question is almost always "How much for how long?" followed by "How big is your following?"

I guess if the venue owns the pirated tracks, you might have a case.

What you're describing is willful blindness. It's not a legal excuse for participating in infringement. Karaoke is a profit-making endeavor, especially for the venue. If that profit is based on stealing, how are we wrong for pointing it out to the venue and holding them accountable if they continue to use pirate karaoke?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:25 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:

are you calling anyone who has not paid a second time a pirate?

In these letters we're not even calling people pirates who haven't paid the first time.

If I get some time today, I'll post a copy of one of these letters, with names redacted, so you can see exactly what we say to these venues.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:53 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
You've never even seen one of our letters. What makes you so certain they are "trolling" letters?

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck; IT'S A FU&%NG DUCK

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:21 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Karaoke Croaker wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck; IT'S A FU&%NG DUCK

You seem awfully certain for someone who's never seen one of our letters.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:55 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

If I remember correctly, a looooong time ago Sound Choice put out a disc that was titled "READ BETWEEN THE LINES". I believe it consisted of songs that Sound Choice didn't have sync licenses for so they released these tracks without any graphics. It was their way of thumbing their noses at the people they failed to get licenses from. I also believe that your first letter to these venues is nothing but a shot across the bough of their ship. A warning shot, if you will. The letter is your way of saying; We know where you are. We know what you're doing and we don't like it. If you don't respond in a way to our liking, the next letter won't be as cordial. Maybe you should include a copy of the ruling that was made in District 7 as part of your educational letter so they will have a better understanding of BOTH sides of the issue? Let these venues know that there is another lawyer out there that whooped your A$$ when push came to shove. Give them a choice of which attorney they would prefer to pay. I wonder what you and your partner would do if you received a letter from that other attorney informing you that he was representing one of these venues that you have sent a letter to? Would you quickly drop that venue from your law suit wish list to avoid losing in court again and setting another bad precedent, for you? Hmmmmmm? I'm just reading between the lines.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next