KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Chartbuster Graphics Problems Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:59 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Why is it that Chartbuster disks experience graphics problems so much more quickly than other brands?  I find this true whether using originals or copies, so I would have to guess that it is not cheap media.
I have many of their disks & am otherwise happy with them, but it's such a pain to continue to replace them that I have started to shy away from them if another good brand has the songs that I want.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:29 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
How do you store them - book/binders/sleeves or jewel cases.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:03 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

I use Case Logic Disk Cases (Books).  I take pretty good care of my disks and haven't seen this problem with other brands I use (mainly Sound Choice & PHM).  But I do have this problem with both my disks and singer's disks.
Anyone else had this problem with CB?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:27 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
what player are you using?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:16 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

I've never had that problem with original CB discs.  A couple of my back up discs that i've made has experienced the graphics probs.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:04 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Yup, me too. I have six CB discs, and never had a single graphics issue with them!

but I've seen a couple of VOCOPRO units that give graphics errors especially when they're doing the beat-matching... but they did that with ALL the discs played.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:07 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Songs: 4
Also the JVC and RSQ players I had in the past had problems with ONLY the Chartbuster discs.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:41 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

I use a JVC player.  The music plays fine, just a lot of confetti with some of my CB disks.  I am in the market for a new CDG player.  I posted a couple of weeks ago, but got no responses.  I'm guessing not too many are using CDGs exclusively anymore, so the market is not what it used to be for these players.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:11 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Keep your players cleaned/aligned on a regular basis - every 6 months at least & you shouldn't have any graphic issues.  I notice that the JVC/RSQ players tend to need cleaning/alignments alot more often than other players.  I take my Pioneer players in once a year whether they exihibit graphic issues or not.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:08 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Thanks for the replies.  I do clean my players a couple of times a year.  I have no idea how to align them though.  Unfortunately I haven't had good luck with the couple of local shops repairing my equipment, so I try to do the maintainance myself.
The mystery remains as to why I have so many more problems with CB disks seaming to wear out more quickly.  I guess I'll just keep burning myself new copies when they act up.  It really doesn't take very long.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:14 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
KBear @ Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:59 pm wrote:
Why is it that Chartbuster disks experience graphics problems so much more quickly than other brands?

I also notice "confetti" on some of my Chartbuster tracks.

I don't know anything about the format, but I do know that SoundChoice and some other brands put text on a transparent background, while Chartbuster typically has the solid background in their standard blue. (You can see this on many CAVS machines when they play a SoundChoice track, as you will see the background be blue instead of the usual black.)

Since a background is typically not repeated many times, and the solid graphic must be, the likelihood of an error is much higher, and you notice it in the background.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:17 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

One reason CB has more artifacts is they use line-by-line display as opposed to the clear screen that many others (like SC) use. So when an error appears, it isn't cleared when the next screen of lyrics is written. If every screen were to have a glitch in it, they would accumulate on the screen until a large enough break in the lyrics comes along to allow the clear screen to occur.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:03 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I have had brand new Chartbuster cd's with bad graphics. I found if you copy the cd, and play the copy, it is better than the original. (no graphic holes.) I am not shure if the copying software is correcting the problem, or if It has a stronger laser reading system.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:56 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 15 times
b Flat @ Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:17 am wrote:
  One reason CB has more artifacts is they use line-by-line display as opposed to the clear screen that many others (like SC) use. So when an error appears, it isn't cleared when the next screen of lyrics is written. If every screen were to have a glitch in it, they would accumulate on the screen until a large enough break in the lyrics comes along to allow the clear screen to occur.

Could you expand on that a little, okay a lot.  What's "line-by-line" and "clear screen" and how do they differ and who uses what for what reason?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:57 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

There's basically 2 ways to clear a screen of lyrics already swiped to make room for the next screen of lyrics: remove the lyrics line by line after they've been swiped (the way Chartbuster does it), or wait til the last word of the last line of lyrics is swiped and then clear the whole screen at once (the way Soundchoice, Sunfly, etc do it).
  When it's done line by line, the 1st line or 2 of the next screen's lyrics are written before the last word of the present screen's lyrics has been swiped and that line is removed. This is a better way to present lyrics when there are many of them and they move along fast, as anyone who has tried to sing such a song where they wait to clear the screen can attest; the next screen's lyrics barely have time to write by the time you need to sing them. The drawback to this method is, the only way to rid the screen of artifacts in the graphics (trash that comes from improper rips or scratched discs or dirty players) is with the clear screen command, and with the line by line method the screen is not being cleared. If you've ever seen a bad SC screen, there may be several glitches on one screen, but they only show during that screen. If a CB track has multiple glitches on a screen, they stay there. If the next screen has glitches, they stay there too, and so on until there's enough pause between lyrics (usually at the instrumental break and again after the last lyrics of the song) where even CB will use the clear screen (or fade screen - same thing).
  I prefer to use the clear or fade screen method wherever the lyrics' flow will allow it, but I'll switch to line by line whenever I need to. A good cdg program lets you change that setting on every screen of lyrics, so there's no excuse for companies using the wrong method at the wrong time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:06 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

I still say it's handling/storage issues.  Sliding a disc in and out of sleeves is going to scratch the disc - even slightly, you may do it with kid gloves, but one speck of foreign matter gets into the sleeve, & it's going to scratch the disc.  CB discs may be more susceptable to these, but like stated, I have several CB discs starting from '95-96 or so & those still play fine.  All stored in jewel cases.  The only time I EVER had problems with discs is when I had tried the books/sleeves or the cdg speedrack (mini version of the laser disc holders), used great caution pulling them out & putting them in, but still they exihibited problems within a couple years time.  Replaced those discs, went back to jewel cases & never had a problem again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:14 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 8 times
You may try ripping the corrupted disc with Power CD+G Burner and then recording it again. Power CD+G Burner uses error correction that, along with higher sensitivity of computer CD drives, may fix the errors.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:32 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Interesting posts.  I think my questions were answered, plus one other that I hadn't posted.  mckyj57 & b Flat gave me an explanation that seems to makes sense about the CB screens not changing.
75% of my disks are SoundChoice & the only complaint I've ever had about them is that there is no time between lyrics coming up at the top and when they need to be sung.  For the faster songs, a singer needs to know the words pretty well.
I'm sure that part of my CB glitches are what Lonman said.  My players are older now and the disks probably do wear a little keeping them in books.  If I was forced to use my originals, I probably would carry them in jewel cases, but since I keep my originals at home (plus back them up on my computer), it is very easy to burn and new copy and toss the old one that is not perfect.