KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Design a Video Karaoke System Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:36 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
As a new member, I hope this is the correct method!
I need help in designing a video karaoke system for use in a children's museum.
I need the ability to play cd+g and then record the results on hard drive and play back. Then be able to make a dvd of the event as simply as possible.
Information on putting such a system together or availability of a complete system to purchase is needed.
Thanks,
Tom

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:27 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
the problem is, the recording of the action is against the copyrights of the karaoke manufacturers! In other words, the only way LEGALLY you can do this is if you yourself wrote the song that they're singing, or it's public domain.

You would need to make certain that the enterprise you're wanting to do, however noble, is allowed by law! You could be setting yourself up for fines, fees from ASCAP/SEASAC (which viciously and agressively go after people who use their client's material for commercial environments), or any kind of penalty if you accidently trampled on someone's rights!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:54 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
Follow the advice of Knightshow.  It is illegal to reproduce without permission.

That being said, about the easiest way to do what you want would require a mixer, couple mics, studio monitors, and CDG player and discs.  After yuo have the "preformance side" hooked up, I would suggest a computer with a webcam.  You could then record the video of the webca, and use the "tape out" (called that on most mixers) on the mixer to input audio to the computer.

That's about as simple as it gets.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:09 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
In going along with knightshow and twansenne I would check out the legalities However they do have some educational exemptions....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:21 pm 
You will need to buy the rights to all music used.    Do it through the Museum, might get special educational discount.     Especially if you sell the DVD or use it for profit.

High schools buy the rights to plays and musicals all the time.  Talk to one of them and find out how they do it. (musical director/teacher) :wave:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:42 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Quote:
the problem is, the recording of the action is against the copyrights of the karaoke manufacturers! In other words, the only way LEGALLY you can do this is if you yourself wrote the song that they're singing, or it's public domain.

I was told by an ascap agent here that if you sell/give them the original cdg disk as well as their recording it is legal.

also If they bring their own original disk, there is no copyrite violation.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:56 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
EElvis @ Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:42 am wrote:
Quote:

I was told by an ascap agent here that if you sell/give them the original cdg disk as well as their recording it is legal.

also If they bring their own original disk, there is no copyrite violation.

Hmmmmmm...that just might work, but could get expensive buywing all thoes disk with 12 songs on them and then only "using" it for 1 song.  Then again, never trust a BMI/ASCAP person, they are about as crooked as ambulance chasing lawyers.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile