KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - So when does music become NOISE!?!?!?!? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:31 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
This was a quote from another thread from Maninblack!

maninblack @ Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:14 am wrote:
LOL, I had those kids bobbing their heads to Rammstein, Lords of Acid and other assorted Industrial Dance music, and they loved it. None of this, 'shake your booty and act all snooty' hip hop crap, but good upbeat bass driven heavy rock. The kids loved it.
To the parents of course it's all noise, with the exception of one dad, who came up and ask if I had any Rob Zombie. ;)

So at what age does music become NOISE???  Just curious, if your music tastes changed when & why do you think.  Almost 40 here & still listen to all rock genres from the 60's to today & listen to it loud when I am able.  I grew up in the metal years of the 80's so except for a handful of new hard core rock, I still love & listen to everything as I did when I was growing up.  I have grown to appreciate more genres such as country & other pop, even some r&b including a little hip hop - something I NEVER would have listened to 10-15 years ago.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:38 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
I'm almost ashamed to say this but I caught myself turning down some Judas Priest a few years back because it was a little too loud.

I gotta be careful. I don't mind goin' grey but I don't wanna be that guy.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:42 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

What's the saying,

If it's TOO loud
You' TOO old!?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:43 pm 
I was educated/grew up listening to music with harmonies and a true melody line.  Heavy metal and 'thump-thump' to me is 'noise'.  That's why my favorites for karaoke are more along the line of country and classical rock.  To me screaming and shouting in a mic = untalented junk. Lyrics have to be intelligible.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:49 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Lonman @ Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:42 pm wrote:
What's the saying,

If it's TOO loud
You' TOO old!?

Yep, fortunately I heard that expression before I started getting old so I knew what to look for. LMAO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:50 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Chuck2 @ Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:49 pm wrote:
What's the saying,

If it's TOO loud
You' TOO old!?

Yep, fortunately I heard that expression before I started getting old so I knew what to look for. LMAO

So your amp still goes to "11", but you only turn it to 8 now days.   LOL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:51 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Been Liked: 0 time
I've never cared for loud music. At home when I listen to music I
don't blare it.

When I do karaoke it doesn't bother me, but I usually start off softer than gradually
bring it up as the night goes on. When I get home the last thing I want to hear is music, but when I'm at work it doesn't bother me.

Now - when it becomes noise to me? - That could mean several things - A bad band is noise, to much rap or heavy metal ( a  little I don't mind.) If I'm out with friends and can't carry a conversation over the music it's noise.

Oh heck I was born old

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:54 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Lonman @ Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:50 pm wrote:
Chuck2 @ Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:49 pm wrote:
What's the saying,

If it's TOO loud
You' TOO old!?

So your amp still goes to "11", but you only turn it to 8 now days.   LOL

THat's just to leave me a little headroom. LMAO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:09 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Great topic Lonman.

In my opinion, music becomes noise when you get intolerant to it.  

Everybody has different tolerance levels to certain types or generas of music, but as we get older and maturer we expand our our horizons for different kinds/type of music. Keeping an open mind and a willingness to expand ones own musical knowledge is a key to keeping it music before it becomes noise.

I remember when I was 28 and introduced to Jazz. That experience had opened up my mind to other generas of music. Everything from classical to jazz to all forms of rock & metal, country and everything else in between. Really listening to the notes, chords and vocals of any given piece was enlighting.

There is only one genre of music that I have some intolerance for that I would consider noise, today's rap/hip-hop. Anything that has negative connotations towards any race, gender or sexual preference,  and the use of foul language that keeps repeating, I don't mind if it pops up once in awhile but not a whole song.

:D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:21 pm 
Well, I'm turning 43 next week but I never cared for the "electric sounds" really...my preference was always for listening to musical instruments other than electric guitar and loudness is fine but when it turns into screaming and harshness I can't deal with it!  I missed the boat on that kind of music somewhere along the way I guess...so, to answer this question completely, it was too loud for me when I was 15 I think.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:25 pm 
When I was growing up my dad had the best stereo system in town.     Whenever he played his favorite music, it was loud.   He even made a sign to put outside to "Knock Loud, Stereo in Operation"   I still have it.     Whenever I played something I really wanted to hear, it was too loud.   According to him.

It doesn't matter what type of music it is.    If you like it, it can never be too loud.   If you don't like it, it's always too loud.
LMAO  :yes:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:33 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 11 times
I think the correct answer to this subjective question is;

Assuming music is unpleasantly loud to a particular individual, unwanted or grating, to this individual the music likely will qualify as "noise".  Assuming I'm on the telephone, and a station is blaring even my favorite song, if I can't keep up with an important phone conversation because of the volume of music, even music I like at times, will become "noise".

In my own simple terms,  if any sound(s) are creating a disturbance to me, such sounds are "noise".

When is chopped liver delicious ?     Same thing :)   All in the eyes (ears or taste-buds) and mood of the person that has to deal with it  :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:35 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Kappy you hit the nail on the head - you stated what I couldn't put
in words - Geezz how do you do that?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:40 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

For all we know.  The definition of "Music" might just be

"A conditioned or acquired preference for noise"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:40 pm 
At weddings the older people would tell me the music is too loud, so I play some big band, or Sinatra and crank up the volume, and they totally stop complaining. Never too loud, when it's what they like.... :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:44 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Johnny Echo @ Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:40 pm wrote:
At weddings the older people would tell me the music is too loud, so I play some big band, or Sinatra and crank up the volume, and they totally stop complaining. Never too loud, when it's what they like.... :)

Very good point Johnny.

My Aunt used to work at the Opry. It was very loud there. If anything modern is played at even half those decibels where she can hear it she will be the first to scream that it's too loud. She's a nut and we love her.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:48 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Bab's,   These types of questions become easier to answer when one realizes "noise" has a definition.  By definition, it's easy to determine when something is, or is not deemed "noise".  Usually the basis of all discussion involving terminology, lies in the definition of terms used.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:09 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 47 times
I'm a person who likes it loud..... very loud. I always have.

It's only noise to me if... it's rap, or hip-hop, or some unrecognizable form of music I can't get into. Or a whining, annoying voice... can qualify as "noise" to me....VERY quickly.

I listen to predominantly country & bluegrass music, but I've been known to blare alot of other genres too.

And it's simply impossible- to my ears- to ever think a fiddle or banjo is too loud.

I have often been playing a stereo (my music) and the kids will walk over and put in something I don't like..... and I find myself saying "turn that DOWN, it's too noisy".... but then again, I am a gramma now. Maybe it's catching up? Hope not.  :(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:31 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Hi folks,  haven't looked in in a while...

When Music becomes noise--

Lack of a decent melody, harmony or rhythm

What qualifies?
- Most rap these days-- old school stuff is not too bad tho
- Some popular R&B stuff, some hip-hop stuff
- Some really heavy rock - can't think of any specific bands tho.  I do like some hard rock bands -- e.g. Tool, Disturbed  (some would call those noise tho)

I know I'm going to get flamed but-- I don't like country -- but I don't consider it noise tho.

It all really depends on individuals personal tastes.

Rock on!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:41 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

When growing up all of my music was considered noise to my parents ie Grand Funk, Jethro Tull, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, etc...they were all into the 50's rock & early 60's, didn't really get into the later acid rock style or the 70's rock that I loved.  Now my kids are listening to the heavy rock stations & the pop station, most of which I like or at least tolerate, the Hilary Duff stuff can get grating after a few plays too which my daughter loves.  I don't like bands like System Of A Down type music like my son loves, to me this is noise but they both grew up listening to my music & they at least can say they like what I like as well!  My son actually has much of my old record albums & plays them & treats them with kid gloves.