KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - KJs singing Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: KJs singing
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:28 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Been Liked: 0 time
When I host karaoke I will usually only sing if it is slow, to get the night started or
if requested to sing. If I start singing and someone shows interest in singing the song I've started I will ask them to come up and sing it with me or take over. Key thing here is I invite them on stage I don't encourage people just to jump up on stage and grab a mic anytime they'd like.

NOW THIS IS THE QUESTION

You've been requested to sing a song. Maybe given a big tip to do so. Someone jumps on stage and wants to sing. What do you do?

In the past if I was given a tip to sing a particular song, I whispered in their ear - I'm sorry someone has paid to hear me sing this song if you'd like I can put the song in for you later in the night to sing.

I always feel bad because I really like to make the night about them not me. I feel like such a heel. What are your thoughts?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: KJs singing
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:16 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
whether it's me singing or anybody else... if there is an unannounced singer that just hops on stage, I usually hop right next to them and say "NOT your turn dude!" pretty loud. LOL

Then I lead them off to my area, and "gently" tell them the rules that everyone else follows.

While I understand some kjs out there have pretty loose rules, and like it to be fun, fun fun... to me, too much chaos also disrupts the show. We have a rotation for a reason, you know!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:31 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I'll let them sing all they want but I won't turn on their mike, let's face it they already look foolish jumping up uninvited so let sing their hearts out unheard. Halfway through the song they usually realize their mike is not on and slowly slither off the stage looking embarrassed and don't usually try it again. I usually also add at the end of the song  
"how about a big hand for the air singer" hehe I love to embarrass.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:50 pm 
I have used a combo .... RobDog's comment about keeping their mike turned off insures that the person who asked for the song gets what they want; a full song by the singer of their choice without interruption.
I then follow the song with a recap of the rules ... no duets unless agreed upon in advance or requested by the singer.  I'll sometimes sing, off mike, to help a floundering singer get 'on tune'.
Violation of any of the above rule has a penalty - loss of turn in the rotation.  This has a big impact when the rotation is full.

I also agree with you on your position on KJs singing ... we get paid to make the customer's nights special; not our own.  We are providing a service for the client and if they wanted to hear someone else sing all the time they would go listen to a live band or DJ.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:25 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
Most of my shows are mellow and it doesnt take much control. I have done all nighters for bikers clubs.. It goes in stages if its progresses where im being ignored a little I admonish them on the mic. Next stage I shut the music off and clear the stage and give a rules speach.. It only happened once but it was totally nuts I shut the music off and screamed in a master at arms commanding voice "Ok let me tell you what people I have a good system here and Im not going to let a few drunks abuse it or ruin it for the rest.. Karaoke is over until you a**holes settle down and start acting like adults" Whereupon I strolled over to the bar sat down and ordered a bud lite. One of my buddys said Ohoh Ollies pissed again. About 3-5 minutes I walked back turned on some fill and said ok are we ready?Everybody cheered My regulars know that I will tolerate alot but dont abuse the stuff, the one singing is their turn, and dont try to screw up the rotation. Once in awhile somebody says I have to leave can I sing right away? Sometimes Ill ask on the mic Donna how much is left in jims drink? She will say Then I say ok he owes you a 3 dollar tip. When he is done with his drink send him up he is going to sing his last song of the night then leave. Ok this has taken about a couple of minutes to hash this out.. So everybody is pissed at him There are so many ways to enforce rules and have fun just do it? The secret is do everything on mic so everybody knows what is going on I will not argue with somebody off mic unless there is somebody filling in as host..

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:36 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
That's what the mute button is for.  Mic's not in use, it's muted.  Problem solved.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:14 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

LMAO turn their volume down  LMAO

That's easy enough - problem solved

Now why didn't I think of that? Sometimes the simpliest of answers
are right in front of you

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:06 pm 
One of my rules is:  Do not assume someone wants your help, singing their song.

I have yahoos run up all the time and grab a mike and say turn this on.    I tell them no.   Did you ask so & so if they want you to sing with them?     It's his song.

You also get the ones that want to come up and sing loud and off key, in your ear.

If you just turn off the volume, they start to flip the switch and bang on it to try to
make it work.

If someone wants you to sing the song, sing it.    I just ignore them and keep singing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:21 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 4 times
knightshow @ Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:16 pm wrote:
whether it's me singing or anybody else... if there is an unannounced singer that just hops on stage, I usually hop right next to them and say "NOT your turn dude!" pretty loud.

A guy did that last night--he was obviously drunk!  Between songs, he got up on stage and wanted the sing, and wanted the kj to play some Elvis.  The kj said something to him--I don't remember what she said, but she made it clear that he had to wait his turn like everyone else.