KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - what digital song book software ? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:07 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
hi which online karaoke song book service do you use

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:32 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
joe_wsc wrote:
hi which online karaoke song book service do you use

Ksr from PCDJ only works with Dex or lyrx.
Have used Songbookdb, OpenKJ Songbook which can be used standalone with any software.
Compuhost is integrated with Songbooks Online. OpenKJ Songbook can be used with OpenKJ's player. Siglos Karaoke Professional's kiosk works with connect karaoke. VirtualDJ has a simple one called Ask The DJ. I have used all of them and can tell you that all have their pros and cons.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:20 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
SongbookDB here

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:16 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
I use CompuHost's "Remote Request Submission System". Singers have access to my complete library and are able to submit their song requests using their Smartphones. And, there is NO monthly subscription fee.

I would never use any of the online songbooks where a subscription is involved. IMO, total waste of money. Money that I can put to better use, like buying new downloads.

Now, for years and years, I've used books and slips. And that seemed to work just fine. Well, I've done away with the books. Now, most singers just come up and tell me what they want to sing. And I have no problem with that.

So, here's the bottom line...

Using one of those paid subscription services isn't going to bring in more customers... nor, is it going to get you more money from the venue. They're not going to say: "Hey, since you're using an online songbook service, we're going to pay you $50 more a night.

So, if you have nothing better to do with your money, go ahead and subscribe to one of them. But I can tell you this...

I have a steady flow of customers at my shows and have not lost one singer because I don't do the online songbooks. To me, it's a waste of money... but of course, that's just my opinion.

It all comes down to this...

If your customers like you, and how you run your show, and how you treat them, they're going to come back. If they love your sound, they're going to come back. If you make it so that they have a blast at your shows, they're going to come back. Whether or not you use an online songbook service means nothing. It's all about if they like YOU and the experience you bring to them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:05 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
I use CompuHost's "Remote Request Submission System". Singers have access to my complete library and are able to submit their song requests using their Smartphones. And, there is NO monthly subscription fee.

I would never use any of the online songbooks where a subscription is involved. IMO, total waste of money. Money that I can put to better use, like buying new downloads.

Now, for years and years, I've used books and slips. And that seemed to work just fine. Well, I've done away with the books. Now, most singers just come up and tell me what they want to sing. And I have no problem with that.

Using one of those paid subscription services isn't going to bring in more customers... nor, is it going to get you more money from the venue. They're not going to say: "Hey, since you're using an online songbook service, we're going to pay you $50 more a night.

So, if you have nothing better to do with your money, go ahead and subscribe to one of them. But I can tell you this...

I have a steady flow of customers at my shows and have not lost one singer because I don't do the online songbooks. To me, it's a waste of money... but of course, that's just my opinion.

If your customers like you, and how you run your show, and how you treat them, they're going to come back. If they love your sound, they're going to come back. If you make it so that they have a blast at your shows, they're going to come back. Whether or not you use an online songbook service means nothing. It's all about if they like YOU and the experience you bring to them.

Says an idiot who ignores the ability to advertise your shows in Songbooks Online.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:42 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Alan B wrote:

Says an idiot who ignores the ability to advertise your shows in Songbooks Online.

I don't need Songbooks Online to "advertise" my shows. Word of mouth works wonders. In addition to that, most venues put in on their outdoor sign and on their FB page. And I also, use Facebook and text messages. Like I said, a total waste of money... BUT... if customers are lining up at the door, waiting in lines to get into your show because of your Songbooks Online advertising, then stay with it. As for me, I've successfully run shows for 25 years without it. I've built a solid reputation and great customer base. All WITHOUT Songbooks Online.

So Danny... let me give you some friendly advice: A new mixer is not going to help. Neither is using an online songbook service. Because if you need to rely on these things to try to get people into your shows, then.... your not doing such a good job as a host and maybe your hosting skills need improvement. The lack of attendance at your shows is not going to be helped by whether or not you use Songbooks Online to try to get people in. So, it's time to look at your hosting skills. Maybe your personality too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:35 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
Alan B wrote:

I don't need Songbooks Online to "advertise" my shows. Word of mouth works wonders. In addition to that, most venues put in on their outdoor sign and on their FB page. And I also, use Facebook and text messages. Like I said, a total waste of money... BUT... if customers are lining up at the door, waiting in lines to get into your show because of your Songbooks Online advertising, then stay with it. As for me, I've successfully run shows for 25 years without it. I've built a solid reputation and great customer base. All WITHOUT Songbooks Online.

So Danny... let me give you some friendly advice: A new mixer is not going to help. Neither is using an online songbook service. Because if you need to rely on these things to try to get people into your shows, then.... your not doing such a good job as a host and maybe your hosting skills need improvement. The lack of attendance at your shows is not going to be helped by whether or not you use Songbooks Online to try to get people in. So, it's time to look at your hosting skills. Maybe your personality too.

Venues in my area don't do their own advertising. They leave it to the entertainment. Any form of advertising is good and I look at Songbooks Online as killing two birds with one stone. But actually I don't use Songbooks Online anymore, I use KSR from PCDJ'S DEX, which doesn't really do a couple of things that Songbooks Online does including the advertising. Let's face it you can be the best host ever and still fail if nobody knows where you are. Besides with your system, one has to be on the same WiFi network for it to work, Songbooks Online, KSR, Connect karaoke (Siglos), Songbookdb or OpenKJ Songbook you don't. Up here most Bar WiFi networks are weak and unreliable. I have to use my phone's hotspot just to be online for requests and buy on the fly downloading. No freaking way I can justify letting even right people access to my network for security reasons, not just the fact that they could kick me off of my network by being more than the network will allow.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:36 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
How do you do remote requests in compuhost without using Songbooks Online???

Be curious, not judgmental.

B-Flat Karaoke...Sounds Like Fun!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:54 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

BFlatKaraoke wrote:

Their add on kiosk.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:32 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
BFlatKaraoke wrote:

Their add on kiosk.

https://www.karaokeware.com/chkiosk.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:17 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Songbooks Online has so many more features than the simple kiosk and is not limited to a single wifi network. Singers can find another show anywhere in the country that uses the same requests service, can pick their favorite songs ahead of time, can actually see where they are in the rotation and can receive a message telling them while they are outside smoking or in the bathroom that they are up next on their phone. Can't do any of that with the kiosk. All you can do is submit your request and maybe if they are using profiles look through history. But then the host might get the dreaded I forgot my password request.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:43 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
All you can do is submit your request and maybe if they are using profiles look through history.

Totally correct, Danny. The Remote Request System was made for your singers to use their phones (or Kiosk) to search your library and submit their requests. All from the comfort of their tables. It does away with books and slips. And best of all, there is no monthly subscription fee. As far as the other stuff you mention, who cares?

Danny, it seems that you're more focused on these "tools" in order to run a successful show. Using an online songbook subscription service, contrary to what you may believe, is not going to bring in more people... nor is it going to make you more money.

But let me tell you something, my friend...

If you are a good host, you can run a very successful show with... No books! No Slips! No Pencils! And with only 500 songs!

And NO, you don't need an online songbook service in order to do it!

So, you need to get your priorities straight and change you way of thinking.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:05 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
All you can do is submit your request and maybe if they are using profiles look through history.

Totally correct, Danny. The Remote Request System was made for your singers to use their phones (or Kiosk) to search your library and submit their requests. All from the comfort of their tables. It does away with books and slips. And best of all, there is no monthly subscription fee. As far as the other stuff you mention, who cares?

Danny, it seems that you're more focused on these "tools" in order to run a successful show. Using an online songbook subscription service, contrary to what you may believe, is not going to bring in more people... nor is it going to make you more money.

If you are a good host, you can run a very successful show with... No books! No Slips! No Pencils! And with only 500 songs!

You can have 2 million songs, the best equipment and be the best host but if you have no singers and leave the advertising to the venue that doesn't do any. You are one and done.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:17 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

You can have 2 million songs, the best equipment and be the best host but if you have no singers and leave the advertising to the venue that doesn't do any. You are one and done.

Danny, let's put this into perspective, shall we?

First of all, just about every venue I know has a Facebook page. And venues use it to advertise the food special of the day, drink specials, as well as upcoming entertainment. If a venue does no advertising whatsoever, including outdoor signs, is just poor management.

So, Danny, here's what it comes down to...

Word of mouth. It's the best advertising there is. If your singers love you, they're going to return regularly... and they're going to tell they're friends. That is how you build up a following.

In addition to that, it's important that the staff love you too. Because they will also promote your show on their FB page as well as to their friends.

As I've said... it all comes down to if people like you and the show you run. If you do not have singers who return each week (we call them regulars), AND if you're not getting new people from recommendations, then it's time to ask yourself:

Is it me? Is it my personality? Am I providing an awesome experience for all of my singers? Am I treating everyone fairly? Do I spend enough time chatting with my singers? Do I make them feel special?

If you have to, ask them. Ask them what they like and don't like about your shows. Ask for recommendations on how you can make your show better. Or better yet, print out a questioner that they can fill out.

These things will be a lot more beneficial to you than that stupid Songbooks Online subscription which isn't going to do a damn thing for you.

So, you are absolutely correct in saying that you can have every song ever made, the best equipment, the best sound, etc... It all means nothing if people don't come. But, you need to question why they're not coming. And you need to start by taking a hard look at yourself and the show you run, and how likable you are to the patrons of the bar.

Like I said, if they like you they will come... and they will brag to their friends what a blast they have coming to your show. This is the area I believe you need to concentrate on... not whether you can advertise on Songbooks Online.

Time for some self evaluation. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:57 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Danny, as a supplement to the above, let me tell you why "Word Of Mouth" is the best form of advertising.

Here's the scenario: A couple decide to go out for dinner. They're trying a new restaurant they've never been to before. They absolutely love it! The food was great and the service was awesome. And based on their experience, will definitely be returning on a regular basis.

They can't wait to share their experience with their friends. So, the next day, when the wife goes to work, she shares her experience with her co-workers and highly recommends this place for them to try. And the husband does the same thing with his friends at work.

The friends are now very interested and go check it out. They too have a positive experience. They love it and also vow to return. Now these friends tell their friends.... who now also want to check it out. And before long, you have a steady flow of new customers who are happy with the restaurant, the food, and the service. They all had a positive experience. And when someone has a positive experience, they will share it with their friends.

So you see, my friend... it's all about Word Of Mouth. If people have a positive experience at your shows, they will be back and they will bring people with them... and they will recommend you to others.

On the other hand, if they don't have a positive experience at your show, they will not be back, nor will they recommend you.

Like the restaurant scenario, if the food sucked, or the service sucked... they will not be back. Nor are they going to recommend the place to their friends.

So, again I say... you need to make sure you're doing everything possible for people to come out, come back, and tell their friends. It all lies with YOU.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:41 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

So Danny, as a final thought... just remember:

That new mixer is not going to get people out there, or new mics, or Songbooks Online. None of that matters.

What does matter is how much fun they have at your shows and how good you make them feel. While having good equipment and awesome sound are important, the main reason they will come to your show is if they like you. It's a package deal.

Your singers should feel that at your show, they're going to sound awesome, be treated fairly and with respect, complimented after singing... and basically leave your show with the attitude of "I can't wait for next week to come back".

So, again... I'm only trying to help you succeed and get your head out of thinking everything else will bring in people. The fact is: It's YOU who will bring in the people... if they like you. That's all I have to say and the best advice I can give you and anybody else who share a similar situation.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:05 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I know exactly what is guaranteed to not bring singers in and that's no advertising whatsoever. Most bars here leave the advertising to the entertainment so you telling me that the venue has Facebook is worthless in my area. I have decided to give my venues two prices one for them to get off their own butts and make use of the advertising avenues available to them and if they fall to advertise it is on them for the failure of the show because I won't lift a finger to advertise. If they go for the higher price I will take on the advertising chores myself that will include Facebook, word of mouth and Songbooks Online.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:07 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
I know exactly what is guaranteed to not bring singers in and that's no advertising whatsoever. Most bars here leave the advertising to the entertainment so you telling me that the venue has Facebook is worthless in my area. I have decided to give my venues two prices one for them to get off their own butts and make use of the advertising avenues available to them and if they fall to advertise it is on them for the failure of the show because I won't lift a finger to advertise. If they go for the higher price I will take on the advertising chores myself that will include Facebook, word of mouth and Songbooks Online.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:51 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
I know exactly what is guaranteed to not bring singers in and that's no advertising whatsoever. Most bars here leave the advertising to the entertainment so you telling me that the venue has Facebook is worthless in my area.

Danny, last year (before the pandemic forced many bars to close) I was hosting karaoke at a place that did no advertising whatsoever. It started out with just a few singers, the following week that number was doubled and each week thereafter it continued to grow. After about a month, we would have a packed house. All without advertising. Just by word of mouth!
DannyG2006 wrote:
I have decided to give my venues two prices one for them to get off their own butts and make use of the advertising avenues available to them and if they fall to advertise it is on them for the failure of the show because I won't lift a finger to advertise. If they go for the higher price I will take on the advertising chores myself that will include Facebook, word of mouth and Songbooks Online.

Danny, let's face it, you don't have many followers on your Facebook page. So if you're relying on FB to bring in people, I don't think it's going to happen. And I also think you're wasting your time if you think that Songbooks Online is going to be your savior.

Please go back and read everything I've written above. Take it to heart. If you follow my advice, you've got more of a chance of succeeding than relying on FB or Songbooks Online, which IMO, are not going to be very beneficial. But, you do what you want. If you want to spin your wheels needlessly, go right ahead.

A true professional will look for ways within himself to improve and not put the blame on other things for a lack of success. Success starts with you! Thank you. I'm done trying to help you. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:11 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
I know exactly what is guaranteed to not bring singers in and that's no advertising whatsoever. Most bars here leave the advertising to the entertainment so you telling me that the venue has Facebook is worthless in my area.

Danny, last year (before the pandemic forced many bars to close) I was hosting karaoke at a place that did no advertising whatsoever. It started out with just a few singers, the following week that number was doubled and each week thereafter it continued to grow. After about a month, we would have a packed house. All without advertising. Just by word of mouth!
DannyG2006 wrote:
I have decided to give my venues two prices one for them to get off their own butts and make use of the advertising avenues available to them and if they fall to advertise it is on them for the failure of the show because I won't lift a finger to advertise. If they go for the higher price I will take on the advertising chores myself that will include Facebook, word of mouth and Songbooks Online.

Danny, let's face it, you don't have many followers on your Facebook page. So if you're relying on FB to bring in people, I don't think it's going to happen. And I also think you're wasting your time if you think that Songbooks Online is going to be your savior.

Please go back and read everything I've written above. Take it to heart. If you follow my advice, you've got more of a chance of succeeding than relying on FB or Songbooks Online, which IMO, are not going to be very beneficial. But, you do what you want. If you want to spin your wheels needlessly, go right ahead.

A true professional will look for ways within himself to improve and not put the blame on other things for a lack of success. Success starts with you! Thank you. I'm done trying to help you. Good luck.

I don't just advertise on my page. I advertise in the local karaoke groups as well as posting on the venue page and in the newspaper's weekend section. The only formats that I don't use are radio stations or tv ads. But now I will do that if the venue pays me to.