KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Host With Equipment Failure Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:31 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
sanj wrote:

I've got the original L1 with smaller sub B-1 Did you notice in a difference in set up between the Bose and EV Evolve systems?

Yes the EV-50 feels like a toy and it plays serious, the Bose ironically is heaver and yet it is more subdued. As far as set up the B1 is much lighter than the B-2, it helps if you get the roller package from Bose to transport it. They are different tools to do different jobs.

P.S. I just made a deal to do the VFW DJ on Saturday on a regular basis. So I'm on my way to become a DJ, at my age that is what I think I can handle. A little heads up you should have three settings on your B-1, top, middle, and bottom. Middle karaoke, bottom DJ. Just my opinion.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:59 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
sanj wrote:
Since you have the Bose (not sure which one) and the EV 50 Could you give an idea of using of both , sound, set up or any other successful info now you used them both for gigs!!

Regarding your question... I can tell you this...

Over the past 25 years, I've owned just about every type of speaker system and I can honestly say that the Evolve 50 is the best system I've ever owned. It literally takes less than 10 seconds to set one up.

Regarding the comparison to the Bose L1 model II system the Evolve is twice as powerful. The Bose is only 500 watts vs the Evolve 50's 1000 watts. There are other factors that make the Evolve 50 better but I won't go into them.

I have never owned a Bose system but I've heard them many times. A few of my KJ friends use them. But once they hear my Evolve 50, they admit that it sounds better and want one. And if I thought it sounded better, I would have bought the Bose for myself.

You'll have to make your own decision but all I can say is that you won't regret going with the Evolve 50 and I would highly recommend it to anyone over any of the line array systems on the market today.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:01 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
I just made a deal to do the VFW DJ on Saturday on a regular basis.

Another freebie?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:15 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:

Another freebie?

Get over it Alan, I'm not taking any job from a KJ I'm now a DJ, deal with it. If it makes you feel better they gave me first dibs on all Weddings and Birthdays that pay.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:11 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 328 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:

P.S. Something occurred to me the market seems to be saturated with karaoke, most of it bad. After evaluating both shows my take away was, why just do another karaoke show? The Moose has that big dance floor and in house special disco lighting they use for the bands. Since I like DJ better than KJ, why not just have a Friday Dance Party/ Dinner night? It worked at the VFW and there was no dance floor. By having to setup in their smaller lounge rather than their bigger hall I think I might have stumbled on to something.

That alone tells me that your assessment of the health of karaoke isn't as bad as you portrayed it to be. It also means that your reasoning for "donating" time is not thought through rationally, but rather than a "knee jerk" response to seeing your old "haunts" spiraling downward. You feel like your services are "needed', which might be true "if" the management was actually doing the job they were hired to do. Yet you feel responsible for their shortcomings somehow. We have said it before and I will say it again.... "They don't NEED you, they NEED to be responsible and make their own positive changes, not you." You should be charging these guys an arm and a leg for your professional experience. But instead, you want to slap the karaoke industry right in the face (yes, that also included DJ services) by cheapening it even less than it is now. I am sorry LR, I don't feel sorry for them one tiny bit. They made their beds, now they should either lie in them, or move on so someone else can have the opportunity to make positive changes. You are not doing them any favors by giving "freebies" and coddling them. That's how I see it. You might feel you are doing this for humanitarian reasons, but I see it as selfish on your part. PERIOD.... all you want is the "feel goods" knowing that you are somehow validated by feeling "needed". But in the end, you are just giving the rest of the industry the big fat middle finger.

And now you say that you have been asked to do DJ work and that isn't replacing any karaoke spots. I say that is the biggest crock of horse crap you can conjure up. I am going to say it again. They are suckering you and you are letting them.

Now, on a positive side note. I am glad you liked the Evolve 50 system,,, it will prove to be a great asset.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:21 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
Alan B wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:

Another freebie?

Get over it Alan, I'm not taking any job from a KJ I'm now a DJ, deal with it. If it makes you feel better they gave me first dibs on all Weddings and Birthdays that pay.

So, I take that as a YES. Another freebie. Look, it doesn't matter whether you're a KJ or a DJ, you are still providing them with entertainment. Either way, you are providing them with a service in which you should get paid.

The Moose lodge had a very profitable night last Friday. They could have easily afforded to pay you for your services. Why on earth are you lowering your standards and becoming a worthless KJ/DJ? And for what it's worth, you ARE hurting the industry by working for free. And of course, you are sending a message to venues that DJ/Karaoke is worthless entertainment that has no value.

You may not need the money but there are a lot of people who do. So, why don't you step aside and let someone host these venues who are trying to make a living. Seriously, you are taking paying jobs away from your fellow KJ's.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:30 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mrscott wrote:
But in the end, you are just giving the rest of the industry the big fat middle finger.

I couldn't have said it better. That's exactly what he's doing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:01 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
I have retired from providing karaoke in an environment meant to raise money. The mental health non profit social centers don't charge for any of their events. Their own budgets don't allow them to pay for a professional KJ or DJ. Since I have the equipment to provide a professional experience, I see no reason to be charitable to them and provide as close to a free show. After all they can't afford to pay full price since if they did pay for it they would be losing money from the experience. I might just charge for gas money based on mileage.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:25 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
I have retired from providing karaoke in an environment meant to raise money. The mental health non profit social centers don't charge for any of their events. Their own budgets don't allow them to pay for a professional KJ or DJ. Since I have the equipment to provide a professional experience, I see no reason to be charitable to them and provide as close to a free show. After all they can't afford to pay full price since if they did pay for it they would be losing money from the experience. I might just charge for gas money based on mileage.

Your mentality is astounding. So, here's a couple of questions:

What do you do if you want to go out to a restaurant for dinner but have no money? The answer is, you stay home!
And what do you do if you want to go out to see a movie but have no money? Again, the answer is, you stay home!

Now, in the case of your "social centers", if they can't pay for entertainment, then guess what? They don't have entertainment.

If you walked into a restaurant and told them you had no money, would you really expect them to give you a free meal? You Danny, like LR, are a disgrace to fellow KJ's and the industry as a whole.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:17 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan you really need to get out of that restaurant and try thinking about others.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:23 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

mrscott wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:

P.S. Something occurred to me the market seems to be saturated with karaoke, most of it bad. After evaluating both shows my take away was, why just do another karaoke show? The Moose has that big dance floor and in house special disco lighting they use for the bands. Since I like DJ better than KJ, why not just have a Friday Dance Party/ Dinner night? It worked at the VFW and there was no dance floor. By having to setup in their smaller lounge rather than their bigger hall I think I might have stumbled on to something.

That alone tells me that your assessment of the health of karaoke isn't as bad as you portrayed it to be. It also means that your reasoning for "donating" time is not thought through rationally, but rather than a "knee jerk" response to seeing your old "haunts" spiraling downward. You feel like your services are "needed', which might be true "if" the management was actually doing the job they were hired to do. Yet you feel responsible for their shortcomings somehow. We have said it before and I will say it again.... "They don't NEED you, they NEED to be responsible and make their own positive changes, not you." You should be charging these guys an arm and a leg for your professional experience. But instead, you want to slap the karaoke industry right in the face (yes, that also included DJ services) by cheapening it even less than it is now. I am sorry LR, I don't feel sorry for them one tiny bit. They made their beds, now they should either lie in them, or move on so someone else can have the opportunity to make positive changes. You are not doing them any favors by giving "freebies" and coddling them. That's how I see it. You might feel you are doing this for humanitarian reasons, but I see it as selfish on your part. PERIOD.... all you want is the "feel goods" knowing that you are somehow validated by feeling "needed". But in the end, you are just giving the rest of the industry the big fat middle finger.

And now you say that you have been asked to do DJ work and that isn't replacing any karaoke spots. I say that is the biggest crock of horse crap you can conjure up. I am going to say it again. They are suckering you and you are letting them.

Now, on a positive side note. I am glad you liked the Evolve 50 system,,, it will prove to be a great asset.

Did you ever consider MR.SCOTT, it is not a matter of their need so much, as I need to be busy again. Sitting on the sidelines is not an option. I think you would agree, how I choose to use my remaining time on earth, is my concern no one else's.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:37 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:
Alan B wrote:
The Lone Ranger wrote:

Another freebie?

So, I take that as a YES. Another freebie. Look, it doesn't matter whether you're a KJ or a DJ, you are still providing them with entertainment. Either way, you are providing them with a service in which you should get paid.

The Moose lodge had a very profitable night last Friday. They could have easily afforded to pay you for your services. Why on earth are you lowering your standards and becoming a worthless KJ/DJ? And for what it's worth, you ARE hurting the industry by working for free. And of course, you are sending a message to venues that DJ/Karaoke is worthless entertainment that has no value.

You may not need the money but there are a lot of people who do. So, why don't you step aside and let someone host these venues who are trying to make a living. Seriously, you are taking paying jobs away from your fellow KJ's.

Baloney when I retired I had set up a network of gigs, all of those were taken over by other hosts, they did not create one gig for themselves, they just walked in, after I had done all of the ground work. Developing new shows is my specialty, so I actually made work for others possible. Some took those gigs and run them into the ground, others are still doing them today. If hosts are just going to sit on their backsides and do nothing, they can't complain when somebody who knows how makes their own job openings. Let's face it you have to have passion for your work, when you do it shows, and others see that commitment.

Last edited by The Lone Ranger on Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:53 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

Your mentality is astounding. So, here's a couple of questions:

What do you do if you want to go out to a restaurant for dinner but have no money? The answer is, you stay home!
And what do you do if you want to go out to see a movie but have no money? Again, the answer is, you stay home!

Now, in the case of your "social centers", if they can't pay for entertainment, then guess what? They don't have entertainment.

If you walked into a restaurant and told them you had no money, would you really expect them to give you a free meal? You Danny, like LR, are a disgrace to fellow KJ's and the industry as a whole.

The people that they serve are disabled and they aren't going to pay for a professional with their state grants which are already stretched thin to begin with. Plus this is more for therapy than entertainment to begin with. Their job is to acclimate their clients to the real world and teach them how to behave in it. Most have been released from the state hospitals to the community. So yeah I am doing the kjs a great disservice by helping educate a person who has a mental health disability on how to behave in public so if they do go to a bar for karaoke they won't act out and bother either the rest of the audience or the KJ himself.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:57 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
Alan you really need to get out of that restaurant and try thinking about others.

Thinking about others??? Is that kind of like the way YOU are thinking about others by helping to put them out of business? Or sending the message to venue's that karaoke entertainment has no value? Or that hosts are worthless and should work for very little money or for free?

Let me try to put this in a way that you might understand...

Let's say within a 3 block radius of your town, there are 3 restaurants. We'll call them restaurant A, B, and C. Now, both A and B are doing very well. But C isn't doing that good. Could be because the food isn't that good, or the service is bad or just poor management. So...

A new owner buys restaurant C. He really doesn't need the money at all and just wants something to do. So, he decides not to charge customers who eat in his restaurant. Word gets out and it's really effects restaurants A and B since all of their customers are now going to C to eat for free. And who wouldn't?

So, restaurants A and B end up going out of business since they can't compete. This hurt the owner and all of the staff who worked there such as the kitchen help, waitresses, bartenders, etc. who were just trying to make a living.

The new owner of C couldn't care less about how his actions would hurt the restaurant industry. Kind of like how you don't care how your actions are hurting your fellow KJ and the industry.

So, even though you can do it for free... the question is "Should You?' You have proven that you simply don't care about anyone but yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:01 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

All this would be fine if I was still a businessman, I'm not just a private citizen, as such I am free to do what ever I want to. If I choose to support my local non-profits, that is my affair alone.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:51 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
All this would be fine if I was still a businessman, I'm not just a private citizen, as such I am free to do what ever I want to. If I choose to support my local non-profits, that is my affair alone.

There is a big difference here. A private citizen or one of the lodge members hosting karaoke is unlikely to have a $1700 speaker (Evolve 50) and other expensive professional equipment. They may have entry level equipment or what we would consider "toys".

I have nothing more to say to you. You obviously don't care. What you're doing is putting another nail in the karaoke coffin. You are more concerned with supporting your lodge with free entertainment, then supporting the industry that you are (or were) a part of.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:28 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
There is a big difference here. A private citizen or one of the lodge members hosting karaoke is unlikely to have a $1700 speaker (Evolve 50) and other expensive professional equipment. They may have entry level equipment or what we would consider "toys".

I have nothing more to say to you. You obviously don't care. What you're doing is putting another nail in the karaoke coffin. You are more concerned with supporting your lodge with free entertainment, then supporting the industry that you are (or were) a part of.

I don't know how many times I have to tell you, I'm not taking anyone's gig, I'm doing my thing creating new shows. Also I am in the process of moving away from KJ to DJ, which in my opinion I do better. So I have the means to do a quality show with quality equipment, didn't you rail against bad KJ's giving the industry a black eye? Also you were the one that started me thinking about getting back in the game in the first place. What's the matter doctor you don't like the monster you have help to create? Down the road when the pandemic is over, then I will go back to being retired, don't tell me hacks will not be lined up to take over the shows once again I created.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:46 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Lone Ranger, I can certainly appreciate the need to feel "needed" and to want to stay busy, rather than just lounge around at home and wither away. I am not that far behind you in that respect. You say you are not taking any jobs from other KJ's, and that is where you are wrong. You may not need the money, but others do. And by doing what you are doing by creating "no-pay" situations for these lodges, is sending the wrong message. I don't care if you don't need the money, but the bars/lodges "need" to be paying. If you want to donate the proceeds to charity, that's great. But for you to not charge them is telling them you and karaoke aren't worth anything. And I strongly disagree with that. You are a seasoned professional with countless time and money spent on creating a reputation for yourself. But now you are telling the owners/managers that what you have done before isn't relevant. I strongly suggest you make these owners/managers responsible for their own shortcomings. THEY MUST BE PAYING FOR SERVICES. PERIOD. Even tho there are no current shows at these clubs, that makes absolutely no difference in the fact that the opportunity for new shows to be created is there, whether by you or someone else. And those shows either are profitable or they are not. If they are not, then there should be no show, not replaced by a free show.

Can you NOT see what you are doing??????????

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:27 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

mrscott wrote:
Lone Ranger, I can certainly appreciate the need to feel "needed" and to want to stay busy, rather than just lounge around at home and wither away. I am not that far behind you in that respect. You say you are not taking any jobs from other KJ's, and that is where you are wrong. You may not need the money, but others do. And by doing what you are doing by creating "no-pay" situations for these lodges, is sending the wrong message. I don't care if you don't need the money, but the bars/lodges "need" to be paying. If you want to donate the proceeds to charity, that's great. But for you to not charge them is telling them you and karaoke aren't worth anything. And I strongly disagree with that. You are a seasoned professional with countless time and money spent on creating a reputation for yourself. But now you are telling the owners/managers that what you have done before isn't relevant. I strongly suggest you make these owners/managers responsible for their own shortcomings. THEY MUST BE PAYING FOR SERVICES. PERIOD. Even tho there are no current shows at these clubs, that makes absolutely no difference in the fact that the opportunity for new shows to be created is there, whether by you or someone else. And those shows either are profitable or they are not. If they are not, then there should be no show, not replaced by a free show.

That is the whole point Scottie the opportunity is there and no one is stepping up to the plate. Many hosts make a practice of trying to poach other hosts shows, and never create anything of their own. If other hosts really need the money, they should put in the hard work, canvassing and pitching ideas. I no longer have to do that because most know I'm the real deal.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:37 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
mrscott wrote:

That is the whole point Scottie the opportunity is there and no one is stepping up to the plate. Many hosts make a practice of trying to poach other hosts shows, and never create anything of their own. If other hosts really need the money, they should put in the hard work, canvassing and pitching ideas. I no longer have to do that because most know I'm the real deal.

Thats on them, it's not your can of worms or barrel of monkeys. It is NOT your problem for these bars to make their own decisions, good or bad. It IS their responsibility to be paying for entertainment. HOW IN THE HELL CAN YOU NOT SEE THIS?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next