KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - First "intentional" mic drop Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:58 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times

Attachments:
drop4.jpg
drop4.jpg [ 92.59 KiB | Viewed 27761 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 6:01 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Attachments:
drop5.jpg
drop5.jpg [ 130.9 KiB | Viewed 27761 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:50 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 7 times
Quote:
After all these years of hosting, I finally had my first intentional "mic drop". It came totally out of the blue, too. I wasn't expecting him to do anything. But it did get him a swift and permanent ban.

A permanent ban over a mic drop? I think that might be a little harsh. The drunken idiots who do a mic drop haven't thought through the damage it can do to the microphone and think they are just being funny.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:46 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

zeke wrote:
Quote:
After all these years of hosting, I finally had my first intentional "mic drop". It came totally out of the blue, too. I wasn't expecting him to do anything. But it did get him a swift and permanent ban.

A permanent ban over a mic drop? I think that might be a little harsh. The drunken idiots who do a mic drop haven't thought through the damage it can do to the microphone and think they are just being funny.

It would be one thing if it was dropped accidentally... after all, accidents do happen. But for someone to intentionally drop it, shows that person has no respect for you and your equipment. I have no tolerance for people like that, so in this case, I agree with mrscott. If it was done on purpose, you're done!

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 1:16 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
zeke wrote:
Quote:

Scenario: I'm one of your friends invited to your home karaoke party. Liquor is present, and late at night, I'm one of those extremely drunk. I decided to do a "mic drop" with your wireless Shure Beta58 to be funny.

I say, "oops! Sorry, just being funny. Next time you invite me, I won't do it again (no guarantee if I get drunk again, tho)".

I'm with Mr.Scott & Alan on this one!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 1:20 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 326 times
Or how about this Brian. We invite ourselves over to Zekes show, and we bring a hammer and go over to Zekes mixing board. We think it would be funny to see the sparks fly as we smash it with the hammer a few times. But hey, it's all in good fun, right?

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 1:59 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Yes a "mic drop" (as opposed to accidentally dropping it) is intentional, and the person thinks they are being funny. They are imitating television and pop culture, and trying to impress their friends.

But they aren't a karaoke host, and they don't know much about the equipment. The people I've seen do this get yelled at by the KJ and look very surprised and embarrassed. I have never seen anyone get permanently banned over it, and while I respect your right to do this, I genuinely believe the people who do this generally aren't acting maliciously and a permanent lifetime ban is an overreaction. The drunken mic dropper thinks they are being funny, and they don't realize the damage it can cause.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 2:31 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
:?: This mic dropping must be a generational thing? During the later part of my KJ hosting career I did mainly Golden Oldie Shows, and the BB's were always very careful with the equipment. I don't think I would have the patience to deal with a rowdy type of crowd, but then I have been out of the business for a while now. Every once in a while I would do a private party or charity for a good cause, and I have never had a real problem with patrons, disrespecting my equipment. The one thing I think anyone who has worked in a bar type gig has had a problem with is people wanting to drink and sing. I take care of that real quick, I tell them to put down the drink, then they can sing, most people comply. When they ask why? I tell them that there is so much voltage going through my system, I don't want them to have their straight hair, develop a real permanent wave, they laugh and comply.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 2:45 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

It definitely is generational. Mic drops are shown on TV and movies, skits, and although they have been a part of pop culture since the 80s, they apparently have become much more popular in the last couple of decades.

I would liken it to swinging the mic by the cord, or banging on it with your palm to make a percussion sound. Activities that are bad for the equipment that people don't realize when they do it. In a similar vein is cupping the top of the mic, which a lot of rappers do in music videos and so some people try to imitate at karaoke, not knowing it causes the system to feed back.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:33 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

:!: First rule of Karaoke, always treat the equipment as if it were your own!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:41 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

zeke wrote:
Yes a "mic drop" (as opposed to accidentally dropping it) is intentional, and the person thinks they are being funny. They are imitating television and pop culture, and trying to impress their friends.

But they aren't a karaoke host, and they don't know much about the equipment. The people I've seen do this get yelled at by the KJ and look very surprised and embarrassed. I have never seen anyone get permanently banned over it, and while I respect your right to do this, I genuinely believe the people who do this generally aren't acting maliciously and a permanent lifetime ban is an overreaction. The drunken mic dropper thinks they are being funny, and they don't realize the damage it can cause.

Ignorance of the fact they are being stupid is no excuse, and is still being stupid. Yep, lifetime ban is in order.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:48 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
:!: First rule of Karaoke, always treat the equipment as if it were your own!

And on top of that, it is plainly written in the new rules of karaoke for this new era, for all to see and read. These are posted right in front of my booth and on the walls around the bar.
Attachment:
vibe karaoke rules.png
vibe karaoke rules.png [ 1.11 MiB | Viewed 27660 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:28 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

:!: Nice and plain, I just wonder how long it will be observed, once drinks are poured into the picture?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:54 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
:!: Nice and plain, I just wonder how long it will be observed, once drinks are poured into the picture?

Ya know,, the funny thing about this kid... he DID use hand sanitizer, so I know he read the rules. He actually was fairly polite and was not obviously overly drunk, and waited patiently for his turn on stage. His song choice was one that I had not heard of, but wasn't a bad song either (he did suck at it tho). And most of his friends had already left the bar. Dropping the mic was totally unexpected from where I stood. He wasn't overly dramatic on stage, he just sang his song, raised his hand to shoulder height, and promptly dropped the mic to the stage. It took me exactly 3 seconds to tell him he was now banned from karaoke forever, and he promptly left the bar. So, he had it planned the whole time to do exactly what he did, I am sure of that. I really don't think alcohol was the deciding catalyst in his decision.

So far, I have had nothing but positive reactions from the new rules, everyone is following what I have posted (except for this little turd). As far as the social distancing part, I can keep reminding them of what the bar has been outlined, but it's up to the staff (bartender only in this case) to police that part. It's nearly impossible to enforce something like that, all we can do is our very best to keep things clean. You are correct, when alcohol finally kicks in, becoming "social" is the thing to do. But, I still feel safe, because of where we live. Some of you may feel differently, and I can understand and appreciate your positions,,, I would just like the same in return. But let's keep that for a different thread, OK?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:04 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

My state is still on lock down until June 19. If and when I go back to karaoke, only 1 singer will be allowed on stage at a time. At least initially. Duets will be a thing of the past. Now, if you think that's a little harsh... here's one reason.

One of my venues, this place gets packed, but the stage area for the singer is very small. There is not enough room for 2 singers to be 6 feet apart. Or even 5 feet apart for that matter. So in this particular case, social distancing cannot be safely practiced, Therefore only 1 singer at a time.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:06 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Alan B wrote:
My state is still on lock down until June 19. If and when I go back to karaoke, only 1 singer will be allowed on stage at a time. At least initially. Duets will be a thing of the past. Now, if you think that's a little harsh... here's one reason.

One of my venues, this place gets packed, but the stage area for the singer is very small. There is not enough room for 2 singers to be 6 feet apart. Or even 5 feet apart for that matter. So in this particular case, social distancing cannot be safely practiced, Therefore only 1 singer at a time.

That's understandable. I don't have that problem. The stage is big enough for 2, but that's it.

P.S.
I built the stage myself a few years ago, with "karaoke" in mind, not bands.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:32 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mrscott wrote:
Alan B wrote:

That's understandable. I don't have that problem. The stage is big enough for 2, but that's it.

P.S.

Is this a permanent stage or portable one that has to be set up each time. I know you're pretty good with building things. You did an awesome job on your DJ booth.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:36 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Alan B wrote:
mrscott wrote:
Alan B wrote:

P.S.

Is this a permanent stage or portable one that has to be set up each time. I know you're pretty good with building things. You did an awesome job on your DJ booth.

It's a permanent stage, although with a lot of manpower, it can be moved. It's a 6'X8' stage, about 8" tall (really just a riser) and it weighs about 500 pounds. I built it to be very solid and heavy. You can see it in the pics on the thread about my booth. Thank you on the booth too.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:38 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

By the way,, did I miss any signs about this kid doing the mic drop? I would like to be able to stop such actions before they happen.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:44 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
mrscott wrote:
And on top of that, it is plainly written in the new rules of karaoke for this new era, for all to see and read. These are posted right in front of my booth and on the walls around the bar.

Thanks for giving me an idea to make a poster, which is new rules for singers to follow.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile