KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Benefits of post-corona karaoke Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:28 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 158 times
Question:

If you are thinking about remote requests, but don't want to shell out money to try it, have you considered using Google Forms? It's quick and easy--I use it good bit for when I need to get people to give me specific information remotely, and it could easily work in a karaoke show setting, I'd think.

If anyone wants help setting something like that up, let me know.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:59 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
NoShameKaraoke wrote:
Question:

If you are thinking about remote requests, but don't want to shell out money to try it, have you considered using Google Forms? It's quick and easy--I use it good bit for when I need to get people to give me specific information remotely, and it could easily work in a karaoke show setting, I'd think.

If anyone wants help setting something like that up, let me know.

Well, for that matter you can also have them send you a text message. But that's not what most of us are looking for. The program I use allows singers to use their Smartphone to choose a song from our library and submit it at the click of a button. Once they do that, within 2 seconds (literately) their song is added to their name in the rotation. If they're not in the rotation yet, it automatically puts them in. You basically don't have to do anything. The system works great and works with CompuHost only. It's a one time purchase but there is no subscription charge like many other programs.

You do need a router. Your customers connect to your network, but honestly, it takes less than 30 seconds for customers to connect. And I've never gotten any complaints.

One more thing, the system does NOT use WiFi. So if the bar's internet is down, it's not going to affect you. Many of these subscription based apps DO use WiFi and may not always be reliable.

Attachments:
smart phone example.jpg
smart phone example.jpg [ 950.41 KiB | Viewed 23412 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 2:04 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 158 times
That's a pretty neat system!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 4:20 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
But can you send messages to the host other than the songs in your library (asked the guy who already knows the answer to the question)?

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 4:20 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Duplicate post

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 4:27 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
But can you send messages to the host other than the songs in your library (asked the guy who already knows the answer to the question)?

No you can't. Why is that even relevant? This is not a program for sending messages, it's a program for sending song requests. And with that said, it does so beautifully.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 4:35 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

No you can't. Why is that even relevant? This is not a program for sending messages, it's a program for sending song requests. And with that said, it does so beautifully.

It matters to me. Any request app that is able to send a message that contains a song that is not in the list can make a show more valuable to your singers than you can realize plus protect your singers and yourself from getting the virus. Both the kiosk and Songbooks Online are lacking in this and I would also say that Bob's is lacking this as well. Both the Siglos kiosk and Songbookdb are the only ones that include the ability to send remarks or messages that can contain song requests that are not included in your library, allowing you to either place in a file to later add to your library or even buy on the fly and have it for them that night. Your choice. While OpenKJ Songbook doesn't have a message the DJ/KJ feature it does allow you to expand your list to include the entire catalogs of Party Tyme and Karaoke Version so that you can get the songs for them as well. Both Songbookdb and OpenKJ Songbook have Standalone softwares that can be used with any player that you choose. Can't say that for Compuhost, Siglos or Karma can you?

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:47 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

It matters to me. Any request app that is able to send a message that contains a song that is not in the list can make a show more valuable to your singers than you can realize plus protect your singers and yourself from getting the virus. Both the kiosk and Songbooks Online are lacking in this and I would also say that Bob's is lacking this as well. Both the Siglos kiosk and Songbookdb are the only ones that include the ability to send remarks or messages that can contain song requests that are not included in your library, allowing you to either place in a file to later add to your library or even buy on the fly and have it for them that night. Your choice. While OpenKJ Songbook doesn't have a message the DJ/KJ feature it does allow you to expand your list to include the entire catalogs of Party Tyme and Karaoke Version so that you can get the songs for them as well. Both Songbookdb and OpenKJ Songbook have Standalone softwares that can be used with any player that you choose. Can't say that for Compuhost, Siglos or Karma can you?

Danny, you find issue out of the most mundane things which are insignificant to the rest of the world. KaraokeWare's Remote Request System is made to integrate beautifully with the CompuHost program. You can't say that about other third party apps.

Also, I will not take the time and trouble (especially during these times) to get songs I don't have on the fly. Sorry, not gonna happen. But I do tell my customers that as long as the song they want is available, I'll have it for next week. And they are happy with that.

Your customers must not like you that much if you're so worried about them going to someone else's show just because of a song you don't have. As I've said many times, if they like you, they're not going anywhere. I have never in my entire hosting career lost a single customer because of a song they wanted to sing that I didn't have.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:12 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
there are some good options out there,
Songbookdb is a great one for any system, universal, fairly simple to update, great customer service, can send requests directly to you or just use it as a book.
the Siglos one works online and offline at the same time, no extra cost necessary if you are not using their website, and they can send requests that way (if you like, or not if you don't). this one is great because it looks directly into your database itself so it is updated and accurate to this minute. it also searches as you type which i like better than the enter or search buttons on other systems. i also like htis one allowing for smaller "books", i know some like to have a "country" book or a "duet" book, etc. i have one for "duets", "Spanish" and "songs added in the last 30 days" besides the main book all showing on the main screen. customizable background and font so i can keep the colors of my logo for a consistent look.
one big feature that my singers are loving is that they can see their entire history as i see it.
what song, what manufacturer, how many times they sang it, last date they sang it.
it has done wonders for getting people to try new songs, they see how many times they sang song "X" or that they just sang song "Y" last week and say "i better find something new". it really works great to help mix things up.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:30 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

Danny, you find issue out of the most mundane things which are insignificant to the rest of the world. KaraokeWare's Remote Request System is made to integrate beautifully with the CompuHost program. You can't say that about other third party apps.

Also, I will not take the time and trouble (especially during these times) to get songs I don't have on the fly. Sorry, not gonna happen. But I do tell my customers that as long as the song they want is available, I'll have it for next week. And they are happy with that.

Your customers must not like you that much if you're so worried about them going to someone else's show just because of a song you don't have. As I've said many times, if they like you, they're not going anywhere. I have never in my entire hosting career lost a single customer because of a song they wanted to sing that I didn't have.

The biggest plus to the way I am doing it is that I am not being a hypocrite in doing things in a way that I can protect myself and my singers from the virus. Tell me how you plan on getting those requests for songs that you don't have without exposing yourself to the virus. On one thread you're spouting how dangerous it is while on this thread you could care less. I brought up the virus in prior posts in this thread as a reason why I want the ability to receive the requests for new songs via the remarks to the DJ feature. I highly recommend this feature in this day and age of the virus.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:05 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Tell me how you plan on getting those requests for songs that you don't have without exposing yourself to the virus.

It's very simple, my friend. Most of my singers have my cell number. So, they can always text me or message me on my facebook page. How about this...

This is me making an announcement: Please feel free to message me on my phone or on my facebook page for any songs you want to sing that I don't have... and if available, you'll have it for our next show.

How was that, Danny?

But regardless of how many precautions we take at karaoke, it really doesn't matter... since we're all going to be wiped out by the Corona Virus anyway. It's just a matter of time.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:59 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 170 times
DannyG2006 wrote:

We're not lacking anything (except maybe the ability to shut you up with your lying ways. However, we are working on it). SingNext.com can send just a plain message to the KJ with no song attached. It can literally say anything you want. Trust me, we keep a record of every virtual slip on a SQL Server. I've seen the data (and some funny messages). Everything from drunk people hitting on the KJ to special instructions for the song, and yes, requests for songs they don't see in the KJ's current catalog.

SingNext can be started from Karma with one of 2 methods. Manual or Auto. In Manual mode, singers simply type in title, artist, and/or message. This method requires the KJ to find and queue the song, but it also gives the KJ a lot of flexibility in picking version, rotation placement, etc.. Auto mode requires a Songbooks Live account, and refers to the KJ's Songbooks Live catalog and singers choose not only the specific song, but also the version, and then it automatically queues the song in Karma without any interaction required from the KJ. Separating Songbooks Live and SingNext.com gives KJs a ton of flexibility. First and foremost, let's be honest, most KJs queue up your song when you come up to sing, and as a singer, I'll admit I actually prefer it. So, for the majority of shows, the only thing needed by the singers, is access to your view your catalog and browse it. Songbooks Live is designed for browsing only and for singers to find if you have a song. Having SingNext.com as a separate service enables the KJ to use the virtual slips without sharing his/her catalog. Some KJs don't like making their entire catalog publicly available and just want singers to just tell them what they want. This gives them that option. It also gives the KJ many combinations of options in mixing books and slips, and how automatic the process is, and how much power the singer has in queueing their own songs.

I also love how you say "Standalone softwares that can be used with any player that you choose". Well if they have to be used with a separate player, exactly how "standalone" are they?

...also, there's no such word as "softwares"

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:48 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Exclusive! Bob Latshaw, in an exclusive interview, eluded to the fact that he will take down a forum member who goes by the name of Danny G. Mr. Latshaw has called him out for, among other things, his "lying ways".

Mr. Latshaw, a successful software developer, has also accused Danny G. of poor grammar by pointing out his misspelling of the word software.

This is a developing story and we'll have updates as they happen.

At this time, Danny G. was not available for comment.

Advantage: Latshaw

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:31 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

To put things straight. I didn't lie when I mistakenly thought that Bob's software didn't have a way to get requests for songs not in the library. I had forgotten the absurd original version of his kiosk app which would have pissed Zeke off because its lack of the song database. It was about as useful as the one built into VirtualDJ where the only way to allow versatility to send requests not in the database was to guess what the host had. If you included the karaoke database meant that they couldn't freelance their requests.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:29 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
To put things straight. I didn't lie when I mistakenly thought that Bob's software didn't have a way to get requests for songs not in the library. I had forgotten the absurd original version of his kiosk app which would have pissed Zeke off because its lack of the song database. It was about as useful as the one built into VirtualDJ where the only way to allow versatility to send requests not in the database was to guess what the host had. If you included the karaoke database meant that they couldn't freelance their requests.

Bigger News Flash! DannyG used the phrase "I mistakenly"

details at 11

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:28 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Even bigger news flash, details to follow if asked nicely. Have the answer for singers who don't have smartphones and want to use my tablet song request station safely. A pen that has the type of tip that can be used on a smartphone. Provided by me of course.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:43 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Even bigger news flash, details to follow if asked nicely. Have the answer for singers who don't have smartphones and want to use my tablet song request station safely. A pen that has the type of tip that can be used on a smartphone. Provided by me of course.

For starters, that fancy pen you found is called a stylus and it can carry germs just as easily as the surface of your tablet. Actually more if you let your imagination run wild. How do the singers know the last person using it (including you) didn't use it as a butt scratcher or ear wax removal tool?

Second, it's 2020. I've seen homeless people with iPhones. If someone doesn't have a smartphone, it means their either old or don't like technology. In which case, your tablet is completely useless to them, and you need to just let them ask about songs the old fashioned way, verbally. Before the pandemic, you could argue that some may prefer the tablet because the screen is larger and easier to read, but now, people will gladly stick to their own device just to be safe. As a singer myself, I'd rather walk out to my car to get my reading glasses than accept touching an unknown tablet, and if you also tried to hand me a stylus, I'd probably tell you where you can put it, and then it would need a LOT of hand sanitizer to get it clean :)

The only thing you should be handing the singers is a microphone, and making sure you're thoroughly sanitizing it between performances. Giving your singers a smorgasbord of things to touch is probably not a great idea right now.

Last edited by Bob Latshaw on Thu May 21, 2020 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:24 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Bob Latshaw wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

For starters, that fancy pen you found is called a stylus and it can carry germs just as easily as the surface of your tablet. Actually more if you let your imagination run wild. How do the signers know the last person using it (including you) didn't use it as a butt scratcher or ear wax removal tool?

Second, it's 2020. I've seen homeless people with iPhones. If someone doesn't have a smartphone, it means their either old or don't like technology. In which case, your tablet is completely useless to them, and you need to just let them ask about songs the old fashioned way, verbally. Before the pandemic, you could argue that some may prefer the tablet because the screen is larger and easier to read, but now, people will gladly stick to their own device just to be safe. As a singer myself, I'd rather walk out to my car to get my reading glasses than accept touching an unknown tablet, and if you also tried to hand me a stylus, I'd probably tell you where you can put it, and then it would need a LOT of hand sanitizer to get it clean :)

The only thing you should be handing the singers is a microphone, and making sure you're thoroughly sanitizing it between performances. Giving your singers a smorgasbord of things to touch is probably not a great idea right now.

Once again, Mr. Latshaw takes control of the conversion and puts Danny G in his place! First he corrects him on the term he uses for "stylus"... and if that's not enough... he points out the inferiority of his using a tablet. A round of applause goes to Mr. Latshaw for pointing out the many ways a "stylus" can be used.

Advantage: Latshaw

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:52 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Alan, I think you just invented a new job title.

Internet Debate Announcer

Why waste your time reading all that long text and possibly having to lookup words in the dictionary when you can get the full story, play by play, in a concise and easy to understand briefing ;)

The Alan B News Hour. Weekdays, at your convenience.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:59 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

...and for the record, I seriously find it entertaining and I'm sure others do too. Keep it up. During this pandemic, a few clever words can mean the difference between complete boredom and maybe a little smile.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next